Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (234 Views)

NVIDIA graphics card not shown in device manager

Product Name: HP ENVY 15-q400 Notebook PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The GTX 950m which is in this laptop was working flawlessly , but I performed a clean install of windows, and made sure every driver was up to date; however, once I performed the clean install, the graphics card no longer showed up under deice manager, nor would it show when I clicked hidden devices, both before and after I updated the bios. The computer didn't move or experience any sudden shock, yet did the graphics card somehow get disconnected? The computer is no longer under warranty, so how would I get it fixed if needed?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 4 (202 Views)

Re: NVIDIA graphics card not shown in device manager

[ Edited ]

@Cthepwn

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your  HP ENVY 15 notebook. I understand that graphics card is not shown in device manager and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting.

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

Can you send the screenshot of the device manager?

Did you any hardware changes to the notebook while doing windows clean installation?

Meanwhile:

To perform a power reset on a laptop with a removable battery, use the following steps:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.

3. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.

4. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

5. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.

6. With the battery and power cord unplugged, press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors.

7. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the laptop, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.

8. Press the Power button to turn on the computer.

9. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.

10. After Windows opens, reconnect each peripheral device that was disconnected, one device at a time, until all devices are reconnected.

11. Your laptop has been reset. After a power reset, it is a good idea to run Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to update all device drivers. See Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8) and Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7) for more information.

Run test on graphics card

Run component test on video.

Click here and refer the document to run test.

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance.

Cheers.

sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (179 Views)

So I did the power reset, and then windows updates starting buzzing in, so I did all of those overnight. This morning I got the diagnostic tool and ran the video tests except they just checked for video capabilities, which the intel 530 integrated graphics handled, so it found no issues. I did another power reset and still the 950M has yet to show up, and  here is my device manager.Capture.PNG

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 4 (166 Views)

@Cthepwn

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

As you have already tried these steps and still having the issue, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. If your product is Out of warranty then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Cheers

sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation