cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Odd Taskbar Glitch on External Monitor

HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13t-4200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've owned this HP Spectre for a few months now, and I recently bought an external monitor for it. Whenever I connect to it, the hide desktop button in the lower right corner of the screen glitches: it resizes constantly going from a skinny bar to a larger one (as shown in the picture).

The monitor is a Samsung 23.6 inch 1080p monitor with an HDMI connection between it and the computer. I've tried using different connections to see if that was the problem, but the issue occured over VGA connection as well as when using a Mini-Displayport to HDMI adapter.

9 REPLIES 9
Level 17
Level 17
43,933 43,719 7,011 12,355
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you using only the external or extended desktop? Do you shut the lid of the Spectre when using the external and do you have it set to display only to the external?

0 Kudos
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I use extended desktop mode when projecting to other displays. I forgot to mention I have a second monitor that's different from the Samsung monitor that has the issue. I keep the lid shut while I use the two external monitors and in the display settings I've set it up to display only to the external monitors.

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

And do you get the issue on either or both the externals if you switch the primary and secondary monitor? Trying to isolate if we have a monitor isse or a laptop issue. 

0 Kudos
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I only get the issue on the Samsung monitor when it is the Primary monitor. When the other monitor is used (1600x900 hp monitor over VGA) the glitch doesn't occur. I've tested this also with the HP monitor disconnected, and it still occurs. This glitch doesn't occur on other Windows 10 laptops I've tried it with, and hasn't been fixed by reinstallation of graphics drivers or resets.

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There is a June 25, 2016 BIOS update release for that laptop. The release notes do not mention any fix for video but it is still worth a try. HP is recommending you install it regardless.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76001-76500/sp76404.exe

0 Kudos
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My BIOS is up to date.

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You have tried everything I know to suggest. There might be a monitor driver on Samsung's website but those generally only deal with color calibration and not resolution issues. Maybe set the taskbar not to autohide? I know that is not a solution but a band-aid. 

0 Kudos
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah. Also tried searching there. Thank you for your time and effort for trying to help get this fixed. I'll survive with it on auto-hide.

0 Kudos
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there, did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have the same issue on a Spectre X360 when the lid is closed and used with an Acer external display. I also find that the laptop progressively gets slower over the course of a few hours until I need to reboot and then the cycle starts again - but this also only happens when connected to an external monitor. Any suggestions? Did you have the performance issue as well?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation