1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion dv6 screen not working, but external monitor does

Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Good evening,

I left the notebook downloading an HP update and then turned it off after it was complete. The following morning I turned the notebook on and there was no display but I could hear it booting up. I attached an external monitor and it works fine. There is no notebook screen identified in the screen settings (where I used to get 2 before) only the external monitor is available.

1 REPLY 1
Retired
Retired
2840 2757 184 355
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion dv6 screen not working, but external monitor does

Before I provide troubleshooting documentation for you to use to fix your display not appearing on your Notebook, I would like to take a minute to welcome you to the HP Support Community @AllanMB!

Did you happen to try a System Restore back to before the update was done?

Have you tried to go into the Device Manager to roll back the graphics driver?

If the computer is on, but the display remains blank, please see Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank.You will see that under the first step where it asks you to connect an external display it says: 

If an image displays on the external monitor, there might be a graphics driver conflict with the notebook LCD display. With the external monitor connected, go to HP Customer Support to download and install the latest graphics and chipset drivers for your specific computer. If there is an updated BIOS version available, use the steps in Updating the BIOS to install it.

I would be happy to look into the drivers for you but I would need the Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?) for your HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC. 

Please let me know the detailed answers/results of the troubleshooting provided above. If this reply resolves your issue, please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button at the bottom of this post. 

To simply say thanks, please click the Thumbs up below! Smiley Happy

Thanks for joining the HP Support Community!

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation