Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Thejimster82 Top Student
Top Student
2 0 2
Message 1 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please upload a firmware update on the Spectre x360 Convertible 13" page

N5R93UAR#ABA Spectrex360 13.3"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday I was trying to fix my problem that photoshop cs6 did not recognize my dell active stylus. After browsing several forums, I was led to a firmware update for the touchscreen on the hp spectre x360 found on this page: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-ap000-x360-convertible-pc/9256669/mode....

I did not realize that this page was intended only for the 15.6" version of the spectre, which I do not have. I downloaded the firmware update for the FHD screen and ran it, but it failed to fully install. The problem afterwards is that this firmware update somehow corrupted the firmware that was already running on my version of the spectrex360, so the touchscreen no longer works. I checked in the device manager and there was no longer any HID-Compliant touch screen until I showed hidden devices and afterwards it said it was disconnected. I uninstalled the device to see if that might let the device manager find new firmware for it automatically, but this has just left me with no HID-Compliant touch screen device at all. 

The solution to this problem is extremely simple, yet HP has somehow overlooked it. There is no firmware download for the touchscreen on the Spectre x360 13.3" page located here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-13-4100-x360-convertible-pc/8499273/model.... Did HP completely forget about this driver or just assume that no one would ever attempt to download an update for a different version of the same PC?

Other people with the same problem have been led in many directions by HP personnel, namely to factory reset their computers not knowing that this does not fix the faulty firmware now on their computers. HP Support assistant doesn't recognize that I have any faulty drivers related to the touchscreen, and HP Recovery Manager doesn't list any driver for the touchscreen under the 'reinstall drivers and applications' category.

All I'm trying to get across is that I've tried everything I've found (even trying to find a version of the driver somewhere other than HP's site like Driverscape but they don't have touchscreen firmware either) and I need HP to upload the original firmware to the 13.3" page so that I can fix this. 

31 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
2840 184 354
Message 2 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Thejimster82

Thank you for joining the HP Support Forums. This is a great place to ask questions, find solutions and get help from others in the community! I will do my best to help you with the fact that the Touchscreen is not working for you after an issue with a firmware update. 

Please follow the steps outlined in order in the Troubleshooting Touch Screen Issues

Have you tried doing Windows Updates again?

Have you tried to run the Windows Troubleshooter?

Have you tried to Perform a hard reset?

Have you tried to Update the graphics driver?

Have you tried to Perform a touch screen diagnostic test in HP Hardware Diagnostics?

Please use the System Restore feature and pick a date that was before the issues started. 

To use System Restore in Windows 10:

• Go to the Search
  • Type Control Panel
  • Click Control Panel
  • Click System
  • Click System Protection
  • Click System Protection Tab
  • Click System Restore
  • Click Next
  • Choose "Choose a different Restore point"
  • Click Next
  • A box that says "Restore your computer to the state it was in before the selected event" will pop up
  • Choose the event
  • Click Next
  • Click Finish
  • Click Yes to Confirm

When the System Restore is finished, you will get a pop up that says it has been completed.

If this reply helped, please use the Accept as Solution button. If you want to give me a virtual high five, please click the Thumbs Up icon below. 

Please let me know what the results of the suggestions above are. 

Thanks for joining in!

Have a good one Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
cameronrr Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 3 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Thejimster82 - have you had any luck fixing this?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
25 0 3
Message 4 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also have this same exact problem! From the exact same source! They put out firmware without clear instruction and now its killing our touchscreens! Please help! All we need is the firmware file for our touchscreens (13-4002dx). That should solve the problem, its not hardware

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1899
Message 5 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@Jeff08,

Thank you for your comments. If you have tried everything that  has been suggested in the previous post and the issue remains. please contact HP Support for further assistance. Contact HP Support Fill out the online form and follow the prompts.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
25 0 3
Message 6 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did and after a long phone call they gave no options but to send it in. Out of warranty that'll be expensive!!

If HP can provide faulty firmware downloads on your forums, why can't you provide the correct original the unit came with? That's all it needs, but no touchscreen firmware is on the drivers/firmware page for my unit.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
44 1 3
Message 7 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why you messed up with firmware updates not checking if it was intented for another model?
I think HP will not provide it because  its part of their software and there wasn't any firmware update utility for our 13" model.
And I suppose they can't provide support for an operation made by user which "damaged" the machine.
Did you tried to recover the OS to factory condition from the HP bios options?
Maybe some drivers are gone bad.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
25 0 3
Message 8 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was having some pen sensitivity issues so went to look for updates. I came across this:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/active-pen-for-Spectre-x360-15/td-p/54...

It wasn't the same model, but the 'HP Expert' clearly said "If it isn't compatible it won't work. Drivers and firmware check for compatibility when they are run."

So I thought I would try it, the worst that could happen is nothing. Oh wait, except the real worse is it erasing the touchscreen firmware and leaving you with nothing...and HP not willing to share the original firmware, just faulty ones.

And yes I've tried a system restore and BIOS rollback, nothing changed.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
44 1 3
Message 9 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm sorry for this :(
Just for information: do you have Touch screen device in Device Manager, under Human Interface Device?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
25 0 3
Message 10 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah it really stinks :/

The touchscreen driver is there if I show hidden items. I can't enable it, only uninstall it. The big key is that under the UFEI diagnostic screen on bootup doesn't even have touchscreen listed under components. It really is as if the laptop doesn't know it has a touchscreen. No software side restore/driver fixes it. I believe all it needs is the original firmware restored

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation