Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When i am using my laptop the screen turns black for a secind or so, then tuns back on, but the webpage or program running loads in a different aspect ratio for a second then loads back to normal.  The screen does this two or three times in a row then is fine for  a while, but it happens reguarly.  When the screen turns back on it also moves all the icons on the desktop to random locations.

Thanks,

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, trying the troubleshooting steps and providing the product number. Please uninstall HP Support Assistant, restart your computer and download it from this link and let me know the results. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings @Sam__

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that your computer goes black for a second or so and comes back to normal but the resolution changes, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Does this happen when the power adapter is connected?

May I know the exact product number of your computer? Click here. Please do not share the serial number of your computer. 

Recommend you make sure all the Windows updates are installed on your computer. 

Run HP Support Assistant to make sure all the drivers are updated on your computer. Especially, BIOS, Chipset, and graphics. Click here

If the issue persists, uninstall the graphics drivers on your computer and install it directly from the graphics card manufacturer's website. (Intel, AMD or Nvidia.)

Also, run an extensive test on your computer to make sure all the components are working correctly. Click here

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for a late reply i just ran the extensive check which took 5 hours!

I might have the wrong wording for the resolution changes, but the webpages or programmes move to a much smaller frame, then they try to go back to full screen but just magnify the small window at first so the image is pixalated.  This only lasts a second before it refreshes back to normal.

I almost always have my laptop plugged in, so im not sure if this happens when the power adaptor is unpluged.

The product number is J2E80EA#ABU.

As i said i ran the extensive check and the laptop Passed everything, but when i tried to check for updates and drivers on HP support it timed out twice.

Ive also noticed when the screen flickers and refreshes the toolbar flickers a bit longer than the rest of the screen.

Thanks a lot,

Sam

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, trying the troubleshooting steps and providing the product number. Please uninstall HP Support Assistant, restart your computer and download it from this link and let me know the results. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This seems to have solved it! Thanks a lot

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and glad that the issue is resolved.

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.