Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy X360 M6 W101DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I’m trying to set up three screens (two monitors + laptop screen) but can’t seem to figure it out. My laptop has one HDMI and a few USB ports. I have a separate 4 port display splitter. I tried an HDMI to display port adapter from my laptop to the display splitter and attached my two monitors to the display port. However, I’m only able to get two screens (my laptop and one monitor). Would like three (extended not duplicated) screens. What did I do wrong?? Please help!! Need to work from home but apparently I did something wrong 😞

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @llgAustin2020,

I wasn't able to completely catch what you explained in terms of your setup but I have a few doubts about it and I presume that the "splitter" is actually acting like a "switcher" which allows you to switch output among one of the 4 ports.

I'd recommend trying a USB 3.0 to DisplayPort adapter, although I can't guarantee it'll be reliable. 

This model on Amazon seems to be well-reviewed. It might be worth checking.

Let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Hi Eddy! That was my brother’s nickname before he passed away unexpectedly last year ❤️Sorry I’m not very IT savvy so I’ll try to explain this better. 🙂

my laptop has one HDMI and a few USB ports, my display splitter has 4 female display ports, my two external monitors have VGA ports. I have VGA to display adapters going from each monitor to my display port splitter and a HDMI to display port adapter going from my laptop to my display splitter. 

these are the solutions I’m considering; 

1. get a male USB to male display port adapter to see if that allows me to see the second monitor (while also keeping the HDMI to display port adapter)

2. Get a USB to VGA adapter to bypass the splitter and connect the second monitor directly to the laptop (again while still keeping the HDMI to display port adapter)

3. Would I need to get an HDMI to VGA adapter AND a USB to VGA adapter to just completely bypass the splitter and connect both monitors directly into the laptop? 

will any of these options give me what I’m looking for? 😬I would even settle for just being able to use two monitors and not my laptop screen. 

thank you so much for helping me! 

HP Recommended

No worries and sorry to hear about your loss. 

The entire configuration doesn't sound ideal and it's not very cost effective. Plus, you're probably trying to use a DisplayPort switcher which only allows one monitor to work at a time.

I would simply recommend going the third route you mentioned given that you can return all the adapters you currently have. Just please be careful about choosing models on Amazon or other third party websites. Any of the well-reviewed Amazon models should be decent but I can't guarantee reliability with this setup.

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.