WeirdOrange
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 Synaptics Touchpad snapping issue

Spectre Pro x360 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've recently gotten a Spectre x360 and out of the box the Synaptics driver has been annoyingly snapping my cursor back when I try to click a button, such as the icons on the taskbar.

I try to move my cursor over a few buttons and the driver snaps it back to the button before the one I stop on to click. For example, when I move my cursor across the sound settings on the notification tray to the action centre and I click it, it snaps back to the sound settings and clicks that instead.

Animated Issue.gif

Representation of the issue in a gif.

This also happens when selecting text, the driver snaps my cursor to the previous word, making me misclick and start typing ahead or behind of where I intended to type.

The issue is most obvious when I stop my cursor over a button, where any minor movement of about 20-30 pixels or onto another button will snap the cursor back to the position I stopped it at. 

I don't know if this is a "feature" of the driver or if it's a bug, but I have updated my driver and I've replaced it with a generic driver and the problem persists across all versions of Synaptics. I've tested a mouse and it isn't affected by this issue.

If this indeed is some kind of precision feature, then how can I stop it? There aren't any settings related to it in Synaptics' settings, nor are there any other mentions of it or third party apps that correct it. It's driving me insane and makes using apps such as Photoshop and Illustrator unbearable.

5 REPLIES 5
jlonomo
Level 4
81 79 5 37
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know about the driver and I'd this is a feature or not; it sounds too annoying to be a feature!

I do notice that my cursor jumps sometimes when I try to click on a button. It seems to be my action that causes it, rather than something in software. Occasionally when I try to click, my fingertip rolls slightly on the touchpad surface. This rolling action causes the cursor to jump a small distance across the screen. I find that tapping instead of clicking works better. Does it still occur when you tap?

Have you tried changing sensitivity of the touchpad?
0 Kudos
WeirdOrange
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can confirm it is beyond my fingers moving oddly over the surface of the trackpad, as the motion of the cursor snapping is far too sudden to be a rolling finger.

It 'teleports' back, rather than smoothly moving around if my finger was involved. It also snaps directly within a selection area, which is usually backwards, so a rolling finger is highly unlikely. The precision of this snapping, which is usually the position before entering a new area, is pixel-perfect every time and a rolling finger is just not consistent enough to do this all the time.

The snapping is unchanged depending on the sensitivity of the touchpad, I've put it on every single notch there is. I've reinstalled the driver from scratch and the issue is definitely coming from HP's Synaptics driver, as the generic driver doesn't actually have any features built in to test for this issue but it and the generic Windows one can tap and click between buttons with no snapping at all. The problem is very likely to be a feature to prevent misclicking, since it exclusively lives in HP's Synaptics driver.

On the topic of tapping, I usually tap to click something and that too is plagued by the snapping issue and is just as bad as the normal click.

EDIT: Just found a stylus lying around and it has a fairly fine tip. It also gets just as much snapping as a finger does on the trackpad.

0 Kudos
WeirdOrange
3 2 0 1
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I went to a PC store today and found that the HP Spectre x360 on display also had a cursor snapping features (more like annoyance), so this is a precision feature of the HP Synaptics driver, and NOT A BUG

Since this horrible precision feature exists and was intentionally placed on my system, I need some help finding and removing it, I don't care if it's temporary and I have to repeat it every restart, it's driving me insane and is making work I'm doing in Adobe Illustrator almost impossible. 

This issue has made a 10-minute easy graph into a gruelling 1-hour struggle trying to correct my cursor, which Synaptics stupidly shoves around to buttons that it thinks is the "right" place to go. Luckily it doesn't affect the workspace, which would've made this computer worthy of chucking out the window, and just makes my cursor misclick almost every single button on the program, and this program has a lot of small buttons that the driver goes insane over trying to make me click the wrong thing every single time. It's relentless, and I hate it.

As you can tell, I've had enough. I can't wait to find that elusive Dell stylus, but even then it's infuriating to think that I need a stylus to not misclick absolutely everything. Such a shame, since this massive trackpad is fantastic otherwise.

0 Kudos
ibuk27
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I feel you bro, I'm struggling with the exact same issue on my brand new Hp Spectre (not the x360), it's driving me nuts. Any progress?

0 Kudos
LVegas
Level 4
118 107 0 22
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You might check the driver download page to see if there are any new touchpad drivers for your computer. My Spectre x360 has a new driver available in May 2017. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation