cancel
peakimagery Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Touchpad erratic. It does whatever it wants regardless of settings. It has mind of its own!

hp pavilion x2 10-n156na
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

I have been having problems with the touchpad on my laptop. It seems far too oversensitve and is forever dragging things across the screen and the slightest touch selects something or closes something. It in fact is pretty unusable.

I have tried updating the drivers and reinstalled the old one. I have also tried the Elan settings page and no matter what I select on there it makes no difference. For instance I turn off the tapping and dragging and dropping options yet that makes no difference. It is almost like the Elan settings are not working or are unconnected to the touchpad itself.

The problem is so bad that I am having to use a plug in mouse, which works but is not what I want to do. I bought this laptop because it was so portable and the last thing I want to do is carry around a lot of other stuff.

I have tried everything I know and have ran our of options.

If someone could offer some advice, or there are others who are having or have had similar problems, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Retired
Retired
2840 2757 184 356
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Touchpad erratic. It does whatever it wants regardless of settings. It has mind of its own!

Welcome to the HP Support Community @peakimagery

I understand that you are having an issue with the touchpad on your HP Notebook PC. You have come to the right place to find suggestions, solutions and a helping hand!

Have you tried cleaning out the keyboard with compressed air?

Does the Touchpad work in Safe Mode?

Although the steps may seem repetitive, please try them in order of the document. 

Touchpad:  

• Type in Search, "Device Manager", 
  • Click On Device Manager,
  • Expand Mice and other pointing devices,  
  • Right Click on the TouchPad, 
  • Click on Uninstall,
  • Restart the Notebook twice, 
  • Reinstall the TouchPad Adapter.

The best document I have for TouchPad issues is the Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad or ClickPad document. 

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers that need updating.

I will also provide you with the following link to create yourself a case number and contact us for more information if needed as you said that an external mouse works for you without an issue. 

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

If you feel this post has helped you, could help others joining in and looking for a solution or you just want to say cheers, please click the Accept as Solution button and/or the Thumbs Up

If you require further assistance, please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting and I would be more than happy to do my best to provide another solution. 

Have a great day!

Take care Smiley Happy​​​​​​​

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation