Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power - 15-cb080no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have one monitor connected to the HDMI port on the laptop and another to the USB Type C port with a Type C to Display Port cable. Last night i was using both of the monitors without problems and have been for the last couple months. There was a BIOS update that I installed, I think it was version F.16 and now today the USB Type C monitor is no longer working. It does show the logo of the manufacturer but then it just goes to sleep. The laptop cannot find the monitor in device manager or in display settings. How can I fix this?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@3raser

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, after BIOS update one of the monitors does not work, 

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

I suggest you disconnect the monitor which is connected via HDMI cable, and check whether the Type C port monitor is working or not.

If the issue persists, please update the graphics and chipset drivers from our HP website: Click here

Keep me posted,

For I shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed,

And your device is up and running again,

Have a great day 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi @Flower_Bud

I did try to uninstall all USB drivers in the device manager one by one and then plug the monitor in but Windows said the connected device has a problem and complained about error 43.

I now tried to update the chipset and graphics drivers but no luck. The same thing with unplugging the HDMI cable and connecting the Type C cable, nothing happens.

I'm awaiting for further instructions

HP Recommended

@3raser

Thanks for responding, 

Download the previous version of BIOS from the link: Click here

Also, perform a system test to ensure hardware is good:

• Press the Power button to turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until you see HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI.
  • From the UEFI main menu, click System Tests, then click Quick Test.
  • Click Run once.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take up to 15 minutes.
  • If no system component failed, please go back to main menu and Exit from the screen

Let me know how this goes, 

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

I downloaded the previous BIOS and created an USB recovery drive and tried to downgrade the BIOS through the system diagnostics but it always says "Unable to open BIOS signature file" and fails. I also tried the method of pressing windows key and B key while the laptop is off and then holding power for 3 seconds and that did rewrite the BIOS but after I checked in windows it still said F.16 which is the one I'm having problems with.

I tried to do a USB check in the system diagnostics but wasn't able to because the test doesn't work with displays connected to the USB Type C port. I'm going to go buy a Type C to USB A adapter so that I can connect a USB drive to the Type C port.

I did do the quick system test and everything passed without any problems.

HP Recommended

@3raser

It looks like you were interacting with @Flower_Bud, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Barachiel & I'm at your service.

I'm sending out a Private message with the required information's,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage 

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

(The reason we are utilizing the private message is because the instructions are critical,

And we don't want it in the wrong hands).

Keep me posted,

Good Luck. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.