Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ZBook 17 G3 with 3 external monitors and Advanced Dock

ZBook 17 G2
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I recently upgraded from an EliteBook 8570w to a ZBook 17 G2.  I had 3 external  monitors working on the 8570w with Windows 7.  My ZBook is running Windows 8.1 (64-bit), however, I can only get 2 monitors running at the same time.  

My docking station is an HP Advanced Docking Station (A7E38AA), and the displays are all HP's.  1 is a 

Z24i connected with DisplayPort, the 2nd is a ZR2440w also connected with DisplayPort.  The 3rd is another Z24i connected with VGA.  It is the VGA display that is not working currently.

I've tried updating the drivers and that didn't work, in fact since I updated the driver, the 2 working displays screens seem to flash off and back on at random intervals (almost like the display settings were changed).  I also tried to connect the VGA monitor directly to the VGA port on the laptop and did not get any results.

The 3rd monitor is simply just not being detected.  If I look at the NVida Control Panel, it is only showing the 2 displays, as does the Windows Display Settings.  

Any ideas?  Is there something I am missing, or is this a Windows 8.1

1 REPLY
Tutor TenzinL Tutor
Tutor
11 0 8
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ZBook 17 G3 with 3 external monitors and Advanced Dock

Hi psubsee2002,

Can we test the VGA input of the monitor and VGA cable to make sure they are not the root cause. I would like you to get a known working VGA cable and a knonw wokring monitor. If the VGA input of the monior and VGA cable is good, pleas try the following: Go into BIOS -> Advanced -> Device Confirugation -> Disable "Hybrid Graphic." By doing this, it will only allow the unit to use your Nvidia video card rather than your onboard Intel graphic and Nvidia. Since you're connecting to multiple monitors, lets use the Nvidia graphic which can handle graphic at better rate. 

Thank you,

-Tenzin

I am an HP employee.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***

#hpexpertday
Tags (1)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation