Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
delk2006 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dv9000 laptop display problem with NVIDIA drivers ( GeForce Go 7600 )

HP Pavillion 9000 series ( specificially the dv9260nr ) Laptop with NVIDIA GeForce 7600 Go driver problem

Bought this back in 2006 or 2007 from Best Buy. I had to re-install Windows after a bad hard drive crash. Couldn't find the disks that came with the machine. It originally came with VISTA Ultimate 64 installed, so I did a complete install with a brand new VISTA Ultimate 64 DVD. At first it seemed to be fine after initial installation. Then, the final part of the Windows VISTA 64 intallation brought me to WINDOWS UPDATE and showed about 100 necessary updates - most were security updates - but also included was an NVIDIA driver. As soon as this new NVIDIA driver was updated, the system blue-screened during the restart.

This PC has the most current BIOS and drivers loaded (except for the NVIDIA  driver) - which I downloaded from HP. In  fact, I have tried EVERY version of the driver for this device that is availabe for download at the HP site. I also tried a newer beta driver that is available at the NVIDIA website. None of them work.

Since I apparently have the latest BIOS from HP (F .2D), this shouldn't be an issue.

However, I would note that HP has a post on its website that says it now has a F .3D BIOS for the dv9000 series. However, this BIOS is NOT listed on the HP Drivers & Downloads website as an available update for THIS  dv9260nr machine (with VISTA Ultimate 64). So, I assume that it is not compatible with my particular dv9000 series laptop - or else HP would have placed it there for download..

I also loaded all the WINDOWS UPDATES - and even upgraded to VISTA Service Pack 2.

I can upgrade to Windows 7 if that will help. However, the HP Drivers & Download site says Windows 7 is not supported for this laptop.

However, the only way it will run at all is by uninstalling the NVIDIA driver altogether (which I did by booting up in Safe Mode - and then restarting the PC normally). After doing that, it boots up fine. However, the Display now shows to be a Standard VGA Adapter - and the highest resolution available is only 1024 x 768 (which is NOT satisfactory).

Anyone know of a driver or perhaps external GPU solution?

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2817 115 662
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The final BIOS for dv9200 series is F2D, it has been almost 2 years HP not updating the BIOS for this model.

F3D is more model shipped with AMD processor.

Many of dv9000 owners that have geforce 7600 have to let their notebook rest in piece due to Nvidia issue.

If you have a working notebook, than I'm suggesting not to force it run too much, just use HP drivers and take extra caution with the temperature fluctuation. Download Hwmonitor to check the temp, here

Idle temp for GPU around 60C, check yours.

Use it always with external cooling pad and never ever play serious game in it.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
0 Kudos
delk2006 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip. I did as you said. The temp is only 22C.

I don't think that is the issue.

All the HP drivers cause the BSOD (Blue Screen). The NVIDIA driver from the NVIDIA site also causes BSOD.

It only runs Windows in normal mode if the all NVIDIA-specific drivers (whether from HP or NVIDIA) are uninstalled and it runs in Microsoft Standard VGA mode.

So, should I surmise that this machine is now just an expensive paperweight?

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2817 115 662
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you sure its GPU temp? not CPU?

Take a look of my 7600 below, I'm using GPU-Z, almost the same but it only measure GPU, here

If you wish to try latest Nvidia driver, you need INF mod to make it run. The official Nvidia driver only have beta version for old GPU.

Try 258.96 here for Windows 7/Vista 64bit (I'm using that version in XP).

3-step process to install:

1. Download driver, double click and select extract,

2. Download modded INF and replace original INF in extracted folder,

3. Install & reboot.

GPUZ-Idle.gif

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
0 Kudos
delk2006 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, this machine seems to be running very cool.

The GPU temp is 22C (with a max of 28C) and the CPU temp is only 23C on both Core processors.

Your solution to download that driver and .INF file sounds promising.

I am going to try it now.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
delk2006 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi.

Well, that didn't work so well.

I installed that driver using the modified INF file.

I did it once and it went into a cycle where it would Blue Screen for a few seconds and then restart itself - ending up at the OPTIONAL BOOT SCREEN - from where it would then try to restart itself again normally within a few seconds if you did not intercede and select one of the two SAFE MODE options available on that screen.

The first time it did this, I selected SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING and verified that the new driver was indeed installed.

However, my next thought was that maybe it did not use the modified INF file during that installation. I had copied that INF file to the directory into which I had extracted the driver files - but I had left the old INF file in the directory (renaming the OLD file under a different name - "nvac-old.inf"). I read on that website (from where the new driver & INF file came) that someone had experienced problems when more than one INF file was present. So, I rolled back the driver (to the Microsoft Standard VGA driver) and then re-installed the new driver again. But this time I removed the old INF file from the directory altogether - leaving the modifed "nvac.inf" as the only ".inf" file in the directory.

Unfortunately, this did not work and the same thing happened as before. Upon restart, It went into a cycle where it would Blue Screen followed by the automatic RESTART. Then, I got called into a meeting. When I came back 2 hours later, the screen was BLACK as if turned OFF. But it was not a screen saver or power option doing this. It would not "wake up".

So I turned the machine off. Upon POWER ON, it offered me the REPAIR option - and I eventually had to RESTORE the system to a previous Restore Point.

Bottom line - I guess I can use this machine to play music, but the graphics in Standard VGA mode simply do not display enough screen width to do the things I normally do. Even using it for something simple like checking email is unsatisfactory, since I need more characters/columns to be displayed in order to determine which emails to view and which ones to just delete - (using LIVE MAIL) than are available in 1024 x 768 mode.

Nevertheless, I thank you anyway for trying to assist.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
43866 3256 13562
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You might discuss the problem with one of the guys here>>

Nvidia GPU Repair

-----------------------------------
Nvidia GPU Repair

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
kaorbinati Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the GeForce 7150 and I have had MANY problems with the display. It will not turn on (so I have to use a computer monitor to get it to work). Any ideas on how to fix this problem. It doesnt detect that there is more than one display most of the time.

0 Kudos
drizzo4shizzo Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have this same laptop and same issue (HP dv9000 with go 7600 Nvidia gfx).  I have a sort-of solution below.

Issue started with Vista 64.  Prompted me to upgrade to win7 64 bit, chose "custom" not "upgrade" option and formatted the disk.  But the same exact thing happens in 7.

In my case after the windows 7 logo shows there is visual static on the screen then blank screen.

Boots just fine in "safe mode with networking" though.  But am limited to 1280x1024 resolution (still not enough)

I have tried various drivers suggested on various sites.  I am working my way through this guide, it appears to have helped many in similar straits

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and/Windows-7-Upgrade-Guide-for-dv6000-dv900...

I have not checked temps yet, and am holding out hope that the guide will see me through.

Here's my sort-of solution though.  I am able to boot a Knoppix live CD just fine (a free Linux OS which includes a built in NVidia driver)

I know it was using the accelerated driver because wobbly windows and other compiz fusion eye candy worked fine.

plus - it automatically selected my native resolution!

You would probably have similar success with other distributions like Ubunto (also a Debian derivative).  Running from one of these CD images doesn't write anything to your hard disk, so you can check it out and lose nothing.  Then you can install it if you like it.

If all you're really doing is loading a web browser, and if you can substitute Open Office (free) for MS Office (it reads and writes these files but sometimes trips up on details), and of course Firefox or other free browser for IE, you may still have a perfectly working laptop.  If you use Google Documents, well then you're done.

I don't know how *long* this will last, but for now its been fine.

NOTE: anyone who follows my advice and grabs a newish Knoppix image (I used 6.7).  There is a cheesy new boot-up interface which you have to select "Graphical Programs" then "Start Full X Session" on boot.  And it talks to you.  Wheee.

0 Kudos
abdosalam Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank youn

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation