emubaroo Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

notebook screen goes black when power adapter plugged in, since connecting to TV with HDMI

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dont know model number

Entry level notebook with Intel celeron

4 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1895
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post

notebook screen goes black when power adapter plugged in, since connecting to TV with HDMI

Hi @emubaroo,

Welcome to the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with  the community, get assistance and find tips. For you to have a rewarding experience, I would like to include the following link for your perusal and reference. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

What is your precise model of notebook?

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

I grasp that at after connecting a TV via HDMI, when you connect the notebook power adapter the notebook screen goes black. 

Are you connecting directly to an outlet and  not using a power / surge bar?

What is the model of the TV you are connecting?

Have you done all your Windows updates?'

Have you run the HP Support Assistant ?

Have you run the Windows troubleshooter?

This document may help while I wait for your reply.

HP Notebook PCs - Connecting a Monitor, Projector, or TV (Windows 10, 8)

To help visitors and members alike find solutions that have helped others, please consider selecting "Accepted Solution"on the post that resolves your difficulty. This will give it more visibility and make it easier to find. Please consider clicking the"Thumbs Up Icon"below to say thanks for assisting you.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
emubaroo Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post

Sparkles1 Thanks for the help so far, found the computer details from link Computer is HP 15-r110TU Intel Celeron N2840 @ 2.16ghz + 2.16ghz Ram 4gb System 64 bit TV is Sharp LC-32D53X Power connection direct to powerpoint. HP Support Assistant did not seem to find anything related to this. Other link re connecting etc is a bit beyond me without getting it on paper and working right through it, which I will. Computer is a year or so old and came with windows 8.1. It was connected to TV on a couple of occasions via HDMI port and worked without any problems, before, during and after. I was disappointed in windows 8.1, compared with 7 that I have on other machines. I read some online comments that windows 10 was faster than 8.1 (and 7) and could emulate windows 7 in operation, so decided to upgrade while it was free. Upgrading was not particularly trouble free as the download failed once and the installation once before all worked. Then just needed to learn to drive it again. A few days later I decided to watch a movie on Presto, so connected the computer via HDMI and it all worked. Shut down and disconnected. Next day, I started computer on its own, but connected to power supply. It went through the brief boot and then screen went black. I decided to move the computer to better desk, and unplugged the power cord – screen came on and worked OK. Plugging the power back in caused the screen to go black – removing cord brought the screen back. Reconnected to TV and screen worked and was also on TV. Unplugged power cord and it kept working. Plugged power back in and kept working. Unplugged HDMI and screen went blank. Searched HP and other web sites but could not find same thing reported. For something similar, one suggested shutting down, removing power cord, removing battery, holding power button down to discharge any residual, re-assembling and starting again. Started up OK and worked with and without power cord. Shut down after running a couple of things to check function. When restarting, problem of black screen was back with power connected, but not when on battery. I did the shut down, remove power, remove battery etc thing again and it works, but only for the first start up, then reverts to the problem. I guess it is in a configuration somewhere, but windows 10 only seems to have some of the things accessible in windows 7 for instance. Probably hidden somewhere as Microsoft seem to want control, rather than users. Thanking you in anticipation. emubaroo
0 Kudos
ashritmg Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post

I'd suggest you to try this :

-Go to Intel Graphic Properties using the blue intel graphics icon in the notification area.
-Use Advanced Mode
-On the left side click on the energy option.
-On the right side unselect the option to show the change of refresh frequency.
-Apply.
-Enjoy.
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1895
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post

Hi @emubaroo,

Thank you for your reply and the requested information.

Would you try the following:

• Disconnect the TV
  • Start the notebook in safe mode with the power adapter connected and the battery installed.HP PCs - Windows Safe Mode (Windows 10, 8)
  • Now make sure the notebook display is set as the primary display
  • Once that has been established then try restarting your notebook normally with and without the adapter connected to ensure it is working correctly.
  • Once that has been established connect the TV as instructed, setting the TV as a 2nd display.

Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation