Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
bobtiang Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

unstable system on lid close when video output using HDMI

T9G76PA#UUF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

system become unstable when laptop is plug in to HDMI video out with the lid close down.

there will be issues like below:

- windows become so lag it's not responsive, very slow response to mouse click for example
- even task manager is not working 
- bottom right taskbar/notification area will have unstable toggle (expand and shrink continuosly)

issues above not apply when

- laptop is use without HDMI video

- HDMI video out without closing the lid

5 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12360 1164 2314
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @bobtiang,

A warm welcome to the Hp community.  :) A very good day to you. :) I reviewed the post regarding unstable performance issues when HDMI cable is plugged in and the lid closed. I will be glad to assist you with this. :)

Superb description and great diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. :) You are a valued HP customer and I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. :)

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• Did this begin after a windows 10 or software update?
  • Did you try to set the computer on high performance and change power plans?
  • Does it happen with the charger plugged in also or only with the charger unplugged?

For a start please try these steps:

Please uninstall the display drivers from device manager.

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> Display adapters>then select the display drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the graphics drivers.
  • Please check the box that says “delete the software for this device”.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Then check if the situation has been corrected.

If not, please ensure that the power plan is restored to defaults and set to high performance from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04752217

Please select the most relevant option to set it to maximum or high performance and check again if the issue is corrected.

Please keep me posted. I will keep a watch for your reply. Please perform these steps diligently and patiently. This should do the trick for you.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. :)  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  :)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. :)

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. :)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

bobtiang Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi, thanks for revert promptly, really need to get this issue fix as i rely on my laptop for living. and yea... i know how important it is to provide details info when logging a ticket. i am in this line too.

sorry i miss out a very important piece of information.

1. this is the 2nd time i seek help from HP regarding my machine. I hope you can pull out more info from what we have done back then from your system. in case you don't have that info, here's what happened.

1.1 it was couple months back in Dec2016-Jan2017 I got help from HP technical agent through phone call with couple of sessions through out the span of weeks.

-  we tried  the steps you suggested for the video graphic driver.

- was even suggested to remove chrome browser by the agent which i reluctantly did and problem still exists.

- we also did system recovery.

- I did supply the video recording of the said toggling (shrink/expand) issue in the email conversation with the agent.
1.2 I was asked to try with different HDMI cable and different TV/monitor combination and it problem is still there.

1.3 I was then refered to a local HP support where the guy came and pick up my laptop. I explained again to him what happened. System was brought back for couple of days and was told everything works fine after a fresh windows installation. BUT in fact there is no improvement, problem is not fix.

1.4 I called the guy back and he said the case had closed and I need to log a new ticket so he can work on it again, maybe get a part change or something.

here's my response to your question and suggestion.

- Did this begin after a windows 10 or software update?

[A] bought the laptop back in Sep 2016, it happened right after not long when i use it with HDMI video out. 

- Did you try to set the computer on high performance and change power plans?
[A] never change any setting on the system since day 1. an in fact i only install 1 application and 1 chrome browser. both application are running latest version.

- Does it happen with the charger plugged in also or only with the charger unplugged?

[A] issue persist with or without charger plugged in.

I am really out of idea and had been quite disappointed with my very first HP purchase. I hope this will be sorted out nicely in a timely manner as I use the laptop a lot and I need HDMI video out to work for such a top line laptop.

please englighten me.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12360 1164 2314
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @bobtiang,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. I greatly appreciate your resolve and persistence to try and get the issue corrected. :) Please do not get perturbed by this. I am really happy to assist you here.

After reviewing everything, I would suggest that you contact HP phone support to get the computer serviced.

•  Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
  • Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
  • Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
  • Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.
  • They will be happy to assist you immediately.
  • If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Trust me I've done everything here to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. :) You've  been absolutely superb to work with, by displaying great technical skills. :) I thank you again for your time. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. :)

I honestly hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the computer works great for a long time. :)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. :)

You take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. :)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

bobtiang Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I followed the steps and I have some problems with it:

1. there is no other options except the 1 and only 1 phone. no chat agent, no email.

2. the phone support window is exactly the time when I am at work. Mon-Fri (0830-1730). This is a laptop I use at home for my personal business.

3. please suggest alternative how I can get help.

and yes, the unit is still under warranty until Aug2017.

Phone

Call is currently unavailable. Please come back during the hours listed below

Hours of operation

Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (Excluding public holidays)

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14573 1018 1512
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @HPLover, I am the @MrRobot. It looks like you were interacting with @ Resolv_S, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

As you mentioned you contacted the phone support but it told you to contact Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Try contacting the phone support in the given time.

If you are still unable to contact the support, please tell me which country are you contacting from so I can direct you to the right direction.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! :)

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation