Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

wavy, unusable screen

HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have a 6 year old Pavilion dv6 laptop.  I uploaded WIN10 4 months ago and the computer became unusably slow.  Reverted back to WIN7 and the computer was usable for a day & a half.  The screen then went to a blurry, flickering (can't read any font) appearance with horizontal, wavy lines. 

Anyone else have this problem and if so can a recovery disk help this?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 185 361
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @WS6, 

Welcome to the HP Support Community where you can find suggestions, solutions and a helping hand! I would be more than happy to do my best to help you resolve the issue you are having with the display flickering. 

Please make sure that the AC adapter cable is not plugged into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source. It should be directly into a wall outlet. 

Please look at the Image on the screen flickers link and let me know if that is what you are seeing. 

Have you tried in Safe Mode to see if the screen flickers?

Have you tried to uninstall the graphics driver in the device manager?

Have you tried to update the graphics driver in the device manager?

Have you done all of your Windows Updates?

Have you tried doing updates using the HP Support Assistant?

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with any information you think may help in addition to the answers to the questions above. 

If you would like to show you appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below.

I am glad that you joined in! 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response EmeraldAvenger.

Safe mode same way as regular mode.  Any window or app. opened was unusable.  Could not get systems restore to work.

Purchased fee based support from HP but when they were trying to access the laptop remotely,  even those remote access windows were so blurry I could not type in needed information.

The computer updated itself as needed + any requests needed I performed them

Maybe I should try the f11 key to see if it might restore the computer?

Many thanks,

WS6

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 185 361
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, 

I am not sure if it will work at this point as it seems it is happening in all aspects both with limited driver functions in Safe Mode and without, when booting into a normal mode. It is possible that the display may need to be replaced but before taking that root, please try to connect an external monitor to see if it happens to the external monitor also. Then make sure to back up all of your stuff from your Notebook (just in case) before performing a System Recovery

Please let me know how this goes 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation