Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-dy1091wm

My laptop started flickering and blacking out. I have to connect it to my TV to be able to find anything or navigate.  What can I do to fix it?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Bonbon57,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Flickering and blacking out on a laptop screen can be caused by various hardware and software issues. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially fix the problem.

Check the Display Cable and Connections:

• If your laptop has a removable battery, turn it off, unplug it, and remove the battery.
  • Open the laptop's case and check the display cable that connects the screen to the motherboard. Ensure it's securely connected. If it appears damaged, it may need to be replaced.

Update Graphics Drivers:

• Outdated or corrupt graphics drivers can cause display issues. Update your graphics drivers to the latest version. You can do this through the manufacturer's website or by using Windows Update.

Boot in Safe Mode:

• Boot your laptop in Safe Mode to determine if the issue is caused by software. If the problem doesn't occur in Safe Mode, it's likely related to a software or driver conflict.

Adjust Display Settings:

• Right-click on the desktop and select "Display Settings." Try adjusting the screen resolution and refresh rate to see if that resolves the issue.

Check for Malware or Viruses:

• Run a full system scan with your antivirus software to check for malware or viruses that could be causing display problems.

External Monitor Test:

• Since you mentioned that connecting it to your TV works fine, this indicates that the laptop's graphics card might be functioning correctly. Try an external monitor or another TV to confirm that the issue is limited to the laptop screen.

BIOS/UEFI Update:

• Sometimes, a firmware update (BIOS/UEFI) can resolve hardware-related issues. Check the manufacturer's website for your laptop model and see if there are any available updates.

Hardware Diagnostics:

• Most laptops have built-in hardware diagnostic tools. Access these tools to check for hardware issues. These tools can often be accessed by pressing specific keys during startup, such as F2 or F12.

System Restore or Reset:

• If the issue started after a recent software change or update, consider using System Restore (Windows) or a similar feature on your operating system to revert to a point when the laptop was functioning properly. Alternatively, you can perform a factory reset as a last resort, but make sure to back up your data first.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.