cancel
jshelbyjr Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 1
Message 11 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

x360 spectre 15-bl012dx windows 10. display flickers when I enable VT in BIOS.

You have to uninstall the Intel drivers and remove the files so Plug-N-Play function doesn't re-install it for you. However you will not like using it.  It is not optimized for anything.  I did only for testing purposes.  

MS Basic Driver Info. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/a38b3227-8c64-8634-fa10-966267e87b5b/microsoft-ba...

0 Kudos
jshelbyjr Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 1
Message 12 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you still not having issues?  Would you mind sharing your driver versions, and display settings?  If you have made any other changes to the device control panels, or enabled any other features in the BIOS?   

0 Kudos
gmihk Top Student
Top Student
7 7 0 0
Message 13 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The drivers I am using for both the Intel and the Nvidia are the versions available from the HP support site as of last week.

Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

Driver Date: 12/23/2016

Driver Version: 21.20.16.4574

NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

Driver Date: 2/6/2017

Driver Version: 21.21.13.7682

I also upgraded to Creators the other day, not to try to fix anything but just because someone in this thread said that made it unusuable, so I did it just to force the issue. But it's been fine so far.

So, I don't recall whether you are using Home or Pro (with Hyper-V). I'm on Pro. What has been working for me since Saturday morning is: VT on, Hyper-V removed. I put all the Nvidia control panel settings back to defaults. I am no longer attempting to disable the Intel Graphics. Panel is running at native resolution and I am using 175% scaling. I never touched those settings since I scaled down right after I opened up the box. I never tried the 40 Hz thing. Yeah it sucks that I have to use Docker Toolbox instead of Docker for Windows, but I can live with it for now since I like this machine otherwise. Plus now at least I know VirtualBox works!

I can tell you for sure that with Hyper-V installed and the 3D settings set to Nvidia only, I was still seeing the flickering. But the other customer on this thread also mentioned setting PhysX to Nvidia only as well, which I had not tried, so maybe that was the key to making sure the Intel Graphics were completely disabled.

So it sounds like the problem is the interaction between Hyper-V and the Intel Graphics. On the one hand I was able to have success (since Saturday morning) by removing Hyper-V but leaving graphics settings as they were originally, VT still on. On the other hand, aguedeney was able to have success (since whenever that post was) by leaving Hyper-V enabled but (more fully) disabling the Intel Graphics, VT still on.

I believe I can return until Friday, my plan is to use this machine for work until then so it gets more use than it otherwise would. For the next day or two I will use it like this. Then in the middle of the week I will try out aguedeney's settings for a few days by re-installing Hyper-V and Docker for Windows, disabling the Intel Graphics as he described and use it like that.

0 Kudos
JohnColeman0 Tutor
Tutor
5 5 0 3
Message 14 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jshelbyjr wrote:

1. Turning it off fixes issue (not an option - need VT)
    1. I state this b/c twitter support told me to reset BIOS, which defeats the purpose. 
  2. Changing drivers does not fix issue
    1. Tried latest HP drivers
    2. Tried previous HP drivers
    3. Attempted to use Intel drivers
  3. Changing resolution does not fix issue
  4. Changing refresh rate to 40hz decreases frequency of the issue but it's still there
  5. Connecting to external monitor over HDMI and extending display the issue stop
  6. Using the Microsoft Default video driver the issue isn't present (but dispaly performance suffers) 

Not sure what next steps here are to resovled.  I have not heard of other users having issues, but I'm not sure how many people may be turning on VT here.  

HPIssue.png

EDIT:

I've gotten the issue escalated.  They have informed me they also believe it is a driver issue and are having it added to their issues list.  b/c I believe this will ultimatley fall on Intel to resovle I expect it will take 2-3 months at the earliers to make it into a driver drop.    They have offered to replace it with another model, or different laptop.  I am considering that however like I pointed out it is usuable with an external monitor, and the flicker it greatly reduced at 40hz so I am leaning towards waiting it out.  

Thanks for tip about the VT BIOS setting.  I'm having this video problem too.  I turned VT off and the video seems fine now, except for the occasional mouse/keyboard freeze.  It looks like they've fixed this problem on some of their other models, so hopefully we'll get a fix soon:  ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78501-79000/sp78781.html

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
386 377 44 172
Message 15 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your patience involving this issue on display flickering when enabling VT in Bios on the HP Spectre 15-bl000 series notebooks.

We have been looking into this issue and working on a solution but now need your assistance to provide feedback if an upcoming driver resolves this situation for you or not.

Driver download link: ftp://gummi12:FixSD333@ftp.usa.hp.com
Driver name: win64_4590.zip

To install download zip file from FTP, extract, then run setup. 

As this is not a fully approved this driver please download and use as your own risk.

I am an HP employee.
Make it easier for others to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
JohnColeman0 Tutor
Tutor
5 5 0 3
Message 16 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Futureperfect wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for your patience involving this issue on display flickering when enabling VT in Bios on the HP Spectre 15-bl000 series notebooks.

We have been looking into this issue and working on a solution but now need your assistance to provide feedback if an upcoming driver resolves this situation for you or not.

Driver download link: ftp://gummi12:FixSD333@ftp.usa.hp.com
Driver name: win64_4590.zip

To install download zip file from FTP, extract, then run setup. 

As this is not a fully approved this driver please download and use as your own risk.

Sorry FuturePerfect, the bug is still present.  I took a video of it this time too, the video  is with the 4590 drivers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkWPXn9XZkk

This flicker happens when you enable VT in bios and run hyper-v, this happens with the default factory drivers and with the pre-release drivers (4590)
JohnColeman0 Tutor
Tutor
5 5 0 3
Message 17 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is starting to look more like an Intel driver problem  rather than something HP has done wrong.  Looks like some Lenovo users are having the same problem with the 620 video chipset:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/114212

I have installed the new Intel driver (4664) mentioned in that thread "underneath" HP's official driver package and so far so good.  I'm only 15 minutes into the test, but so far, no flicker.  I'll post again this evening and let everyone know how it goes.

0 Kudos
aguedeney Tutor
Tutor
18 16 0 0
Message 18 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The flicker is unfortunately still there after I applied the new drivers in the aformentioned article.

Make sure that when trying to recreate the problem you install Docker for Windows (which requires Windows Pro or better) and will force you to run Hyper-V in this configuration.  Once this software has been installed. Run a few Windows applications like a IDE or an Editor.  You soon start to see it flicker.

0 Kudos
JohnColeman0 Tutor
Tutor
5 5 0 3
Message 19 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@aguedeney wrote:

The flicker is unfortunately still there after I applied the new drivers in the aformentioned article.

Make sure that when trying to recreate the problem you install Docker for Windows (which requires Windows Pro or better) and will force you to run Hyper-V in this configuration.  Once this software has been installed. Run a few Windows applications like a IDE or an Editor.  You soon start to see it flicker.

I'm doing the same thing you appear to be doing aguedeney, developing apps using Docker for Windows. (which requires Windows Pro and Hyper-v) I've got 2+ hours of usage now without a flicker, usually the flicker shows up within 10 minutes.  I've got 3 docker images running + VS2017 and everything seems ok.

Here's what I did:

Installed the latest official video drivers (From October! HP, you should be embarrassed by this):  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-bl000-x360-convertible-pc/13823372/mo...

After that I downloaded the 620 drivers (4664) straight from Intel, but got the ZIP file, NOT the EXE:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26772/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?pr...

Unzip the driver archive.

Go to device manager and do the following:

1.  Expand Display adapters, right click on "Intel HD Graphics 620" and select "update driver software"

2.  Select "Browse my computer for driver software"

3.  Then select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

4.  Then select "Have disk" then click browse.

5.  In the file dialog, go to where you unzipped Intel's drivers and drill down into the "Graphics" folder.

6.  You should see a file named "igdlh64.inf" select it and click open.

7.  After it finishes installing, reboot and turn VT back on in BIOS (if its off)

After I did all that I haven't seen any flickering or tearing, the video's been solid.  I did however start having problems with the trackpad not responding to inputs.  After some fiddling with the settings I found that turning off Synaptics support for gestures fixed the trackpad problem.  Very weird.

If there are any HP managers in the audience (yeah right) if you are going to insert yourself into Intel's driver release pipeline, how about you step it up a bit and keep up with their release cadence.  You're currently 6+ months behind.  If you can't keep up, how about stepping out of the way and finding a different way to "add value."

Highlighted
JohnColeman0 Tutor
Tutor
5 5 0 3
Message 20 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm doing the same thing you appear to be doing aguedeney, developing apps using Docker for Windows. (which requires Windows Pro and Hyper-v) I've got 2+ hours of usage now without a flicker, usually the flicker shows up within 10 minutes.  I've got 3 docker images running + VS2017 and everything seems ok.

Here's what I did:

Installed the latest official video drivers (From October! HP, you should be embarrassed by this):  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-bl000-x360-convertible-pc/13823372/mo...

After that I downloaded the 620 drivers (4664) straight from Intel, but got the ZIP file, NOT the EXE:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26772/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?pr...

Unzip the driver archive.

Go to device manager and do the following:

1.  Expand Display adapters, right click on "Intel HD Graphics 620" and select "update driver software"

2.  Select "Browse my computer for driver software"

3.  Then select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

4.  Then select "Have disk" then click browse.

5.  In the file dialog, go to where you unzipped Intel's drivers and drill down into the "Graphics" folder.

6.  You should see a file named "igdlh64.inf" select it and click open.

7.  After it finishes installing, reboot and turn VT back on in BIOS (if its off)

After I did all that I haven't seen any flickering or tearing, the video's been solid.  I did however start having problems with the trackpad not responding to inputs.  After some fiddling with the settings I found that turning off Synaptics support for gestures fixed the trackpad problem.  Very weird.

If there are any HP managers in the audience (yeah right) if you are going to insert yourself into Intel's driver release pipeline, how about you step it up a bit and keep up with their release cadence.  You're currently 6+ months behind.  If you can't keep up, how about stepping out of the way and finding a different way to "add value."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation