Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VictorCharles
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Add a bluetooth Device- All devices are "Unknown Device"

This answer you gave is HORRIBLE. It's nothing but stock troubleshooting jargon that doesn't answer the problem well at all. I'm experiencing this same problem on my new HP laptop. When I go to add a new Bluetooth device, ALL the devices that show up are labelled "Unknown Device"- this is NOT normal.

You advised the customer to check to make sure the bluetooth adapter was turned on. Of course the adapter is turned on- because it's SHOWING bluetooth devices. It's just not displaying their proper LABELS. 

You also suggested that not all Bluetooth devices are compatible with HP laptops- that's a horrible answer. The problem here is not about whether or not a device is compatible or not- it's about the bluetooth adapter not functioning properly. The Realtek 4.2 Bluetooth Adapter is built-in to my new HP laptop. It's clearly inferior- or perhaps the driver is inferior. But when ANY Bluetooth adapter displays a list of bluetooth devices that it finds within its vicinity, it is supposed to display the devices names. Yours does NOT. I was able to pair my Pixel 2 XL phone, but that was only because I initiated the pairing on the phone's end- and the phone found the laptop.

I am so disappointed with this stock answer you gave. You make no attempt to intelligently diagnose this problem. Perhaps this is a very common problem that many customers complain about and you have no solution. But clearly, there is a problem with the Realtek Bluetooth Adapter. I've NEVER seen such a poorly behaving bluetooth adapter. Ever. I can't pair any of the bluetooth speakers I have.

1 REPLY 1
Level 19
Level 19
78,690 78,589 9,682 20,935
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Add a bluetooth Device- All devices are "Unknown Device"

@VictorCharles

Unknown devices: most likely they are no name devices or no drivers. All good brand name BT devices have ID's to identify themselves.

Have you tried to pair your machine with an iPhone or a Samsung phone ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation