Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bluetooth isn't working with windows 10

6710b
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have an HP Compaq 6710b. Bought it specifically for the bluetooth but now with Windows 10 it Doesn't work. It claims it was an Unknown Device which probably means that the Win10 update deleted the driver. I've downloaded the Win7 driver but setup fails and windows notification told me something like the installation could cause memory loss or crash the computer. I tried to install drivers manually but no luck.

Can I get an updated driver? Can I buy a more modern wireless module?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
103328 93880 14423 22170
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Windows 10 should have automatically installed the bluetooth driver.

I have the HP 6910p with the same bluetooth module, and it works just fine on W10.

In the device manager, do you see a bluetooth radios icon near the top of the list?

If not, when you upgraded to W10, most likely the BT was turned off by the wireless assistant.

The only way you are going to get the BT to ever show up again would be to go back to W7, make sure you turn the BT radio back on, uninstall the wireless assistant, restart the PC, confirm the bluetooth is still on, and then go back to W10.

There are no W8, 8.1 or W10 stadalone drivers for that BT module and you cannot add any other internal wireless or BT device other than those listed in the 6710b service manual.

If you still see an unknown device in the device manager needing the driver, it isn't the bluetooth module.

It is most likely the 3D driveguard device that needs the driver, and you can get that from the link below.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe

0 Kudos
cece74 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On Windows 10, I could install the HP Wireless Assistant for Vista 64 bits.

Then I executed from the installed folder:

Wireless.exe Bluetooth on

... and "ding" W10 detected the bluetooth ! 

(also note that in the BIOS the bluetooth can be disabled,  it may prevent it to work)

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation