Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

Constant disconnect from network

HP Recommended
Omen Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought the Omen GAMING laptop at around March this year and since then, I have been experiencing constant disconnection from wifi. This is extremely annoying especially since having the ability to connect to a network without problems should be one of a gaming laptop's few basic functions.

My friend has also bought a Pavilion laptop and seems to be experiencing this very same problem. Is this a fault in the hp laptops and HOW DO I FIX IT??

A detailed explanation of the issue:

Wifi is connected and working fine with everyone else in the household.

Then ONLY the OMEN HP laptop disconnects from the wifi without any notice.

It reconnects after a while.(1-3 mins)

Disconnections can re-occur in the next 1 min - present

This connection issue is EXTREMELY ANNOYING. Because of constant disconnections, I have been suspended from competitive game modes in a few games. If you don't know how annoying this is, think of having a day off and getting called back by the boss threatening to fire you if you don't.

Please can someone find a solution to this issue I am very desperate.

Quick replies would be greatly appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
ichi730
Level 9
1,170 1,167 70 153
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@OmenUser wrote:

I bought the Omen GAMING laptop at around March this year and since then, I have been experiencing constant disconnection from wifi. This is extremely annoying especially since having the ability to connect to a network without problems should be one of a gaming laptop's few basic functions.

My friend has also bought a Pavilion laptop and seems to be experiencing this very same problem. Is this a fault in the hp laptops and HOW DO I FIX IT??

A detailed explanation of the issue:

Wifi is connected and working fine with everyone else in the household.

Then ONLY the OMEN HP laptop disconnects from the wifi without any notice.

It reconnects after a while.(1-3 mins)

Disconnections can re-occur in the next 1 min - present

This connection issue is EXTREMELY ANNOYING. Because of constant disconnections, I have been suspended from competitive game modes in a few games. If you don't know how annoying this is, think of having a day off and getting called back by the boss threatening to fire you if you don't.

Please can someone find a solution to this issue I am very desperate.

Quick replies would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Seems like a NIC compatability driver issue. Its a Software issue not a Hardware issue (Laptop)

But to make sure the computer is not the culprit, you could run a diagnostic test to the WiFi Adapter.

Download the newest version of UEFI Hardware Diagnostics HERE

Then shut your computer down PROPERLY (Some people do press the power button once which will make the computer go to sleep mode instead of shutdown)

Once UEFI is installed Shut your computer down

While the computer is off, keep tapping ESC then press power button once

A window will pop up and you will be given an option to select any key.

Kindly select F2 for diagnostics

Select the language of your choice

Then select component test>WiFi Module>Run once

Wait until the test is complete.

UEFI Diagnostics then will scan your NIC card if its toasted or not

Hopefully not. You will get an FID (random letters or numbers by 4s) code if the NIC card is toasted like this once XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXX

If your NIC card didnt detected any failure id that means youve rectified that ITS NOT YOUR COMPUTER.

So start gathering infos on how to fix driver issues from the OS side..

Links that might help you is posted here.. Dig in bro HERE

Regards,

ichi

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

0 Kudos
OmenUser
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I done the UEFI check but it seems to be alright. are there any other possible causes of this problem?

0 Kudos
St3ve1
Level 4
128 119 6 22
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@OmenUser

Try the following in Windows 10:

1)Reset your TCP/IP and firewall configuration. In CMD(Admin) or PowerShell(Admin) use:

netsh int ip reset

netsh winsock reset

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh advfirewall reset

WSReset.exe      (it would reset Windows store component)

Run Windows troubleshooters for: Hardware and Devices, Windows updates, Network adapters (choose all network adapters when it asks);

In Device manager, for the WLAN adapter chose the following options:

Disable "Allow PC to turn off this Device to save power"  (ur WLAN card will still shutdown)

Change Roaming agressiveness to "Highest"

-Restart the PC 2 times; Restart not shutdown. Since Fast Startup is enabled on Win 10 and 8.1 restarts are required.

For reseting TCP IP:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/299357/how-to-reset-tcp-ip-by-using-the-netshell-utility

Guide for Windows troubleshooting tools:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/13-troubleshooting-tools-fix-windows-10/

Sometimes Windows puts the Wi Fi card to sleep especially on Battery power so you could try to change power settings to high performance. Also, you could check if you have the latest Windows 10 Creators update. Sometimes it brings bugs but most of the time it comes with a lot offixes;

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028685/windows-get-the-windows-10-creators-update

Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS version from the software and downloads page as it makes a difference, depending on your current OS version.

Another thing is to check your Wi Fi signal if its one or 2 lines thats still not to good for gaming, it might sound aabsurd but if you are using a router from the ISP usually they aren't worth much. You could also try resetting your router if its not possible, eventualyl ask the ISP it would be as simple as entering the device and using the "Reset function" 

All the best.

0 Kudos
OmenUser
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Alright so I changed the wifi thing in device manager to not switch the wifi thing off to save power (even though I'm pretty much constantly charging it), it didn't really change much. The disconnections are still happening but now it just reconnects a lot faster

0 Kudos
OmenUser
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After re-installing network drivers the disconnection problems have become more frequent as well. Also, After disabling the network driver switching off itself to save power, I have been experiencing frame rate drop in my games despite my laptop being constantly charging and this is really honestly worse than how it started off. Not only has the disconnections been occurring more often, it also interferes with my gameplay even when it's not disconnecting. Does anyone have any other ideas??

0 Kudos
St3ve1
Level 4
128 119 6 22
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Disabling any options for the network adapter shouldn't really interfere with your framerates in games unless the PC or geforce experience is not set to power saving mode.

The "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" it has nothing to do with the computer being on battery power or not. As mentioned before, Windows would try to disable Wi fi or bring it to a low power state whenever possible.

This also depends on your current wi fi signal, if its 1 line signal strength, this would happen;

Try setting PCI express Link state management and Wireless module to maximum performance in Power options;

Eventually try to do a system recovery;

After that update ur graphics drivers from the Geforce website;

Disable driver updates trough Windows;

Install updates only via HPSA;

And after the recovery, if you get the Windows 10 creators update, try running an /sfc scannow

Sometimes the creators update causes some issues but its still better to install it nowadays. 

0 Kudos
OmenUser
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After I changed the PCIE settings (was Maximum Power savings) I experienced extremely drastic frame rate drops in my game so I changed it back. As for my wifi it is almost always 3 bars and as for my power settings and Geforce, I changed it when I got my laptop, to maximum performance.

0 Kudos
CF4
Level 9
5,904 5,889 206 526
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Network PolyGlot.png

I use inSSIDer to check what is the busiest channel and then avoid it.  Also I setup a second WiFi network for things that wanted/needed constant data.

I have my lease time set at the maximum and FIX my IP addresses for those important things, like a printer.

Not allowing OS to switch the device off.

But none of the above seem to be the magic bullet that will fix your problem.

0 Kudos
OmenUser
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Will asking my IP to reset my house's wifi from their end or sth like that have any effect?
I asked around and apparently, this worked for some people and I'm not sure how this will affect anything

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation