Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 8570w

I have a 2012 HP 8570w. Two, actually. I have nothing but praise for the hardware in general. Built like a tank, ample performance.

At the time it was sold, the BIOS held a whitelist for things like wifi and wwan. With time, HP stopped whitelisting particular wificards in their new models. And they started with a unified BIOS, suitable for multiple models.  68IAV

So I wonder if the wifi whitelist will be removed in my 2012 8570w if I update my BIOS to a more recent version? And I would prefer to know before doing a non-reversible flash of the BIOS and before buying a suitable wifi card.

Edit:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-8570w-mobile-workstation/525...

states:

Version: F.43

- Provides support for additional wireless LAN modules.

Is there any way to figure out exactly what this means?

Thanks,

Dag B

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You would have to read each of the BIOS release notes to see if they added support for additional wifi/wwan cards.

There would be no BIOS update that completely removed a whitelist.

Now, I was under the impression that with most HP notebooks that come with the 3rd generation Intel processors, that there were no BIOS whitelists (at least for the wifi adapters).

For example, the consumer class dv6/7-7xxx model series, and the 15-e000 model series with the 3rd generation Intel core processors, do not have a wifi card BIOS whitelists, and I have been recommending this dual band Intel AC wifi adapter to forum members that have those platforms...

If you want to take a chance on that card, here is the info...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 HP Part # 710661-001

The card is readily available on eBay or Amazon, and doesn't cost much at all.

Do your search by the HP part number, not by the model number of the wireless card.

But with WWAN cards, I have no idea whether or not a whitelist exists for those.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

You would have to read each of the BIOS release notes to see if they added support for additional wifi/wwan cards.

There would be no BIOS update that completely removed a whitelist.

Now, I was under the impression that with most HP notebooks that come with the 3rd generation Intel processors, that there were no BIOS whitelists (at least for the wifi adapters).

For example, the consumer class dv6/7-7xxx model series, and the 15-e000 model series with the 3rd generation Intel core processors, do not have a wifi card BIOS whitelists, and I have been recommending this dual band Intel AC wifi adapter to forum members that have those platforms...

If you want to take a chance on that card, here is the info...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 HP Part # 710661-001

The card is readily available on eBay or Amazon, and doesn't cost much at all.

Do your search by the HP part number, not by the model number of the wireless card.

But with WWAN cards, I have no idea whether or not a whitelist exists for those.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Paul. Much appreciated. I was indeed aiming for the 7260.

But yes, 8570w most definitely had a defined set of supported wifi adapters.

Will ponder a bit.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Every HP notebook has a list of supported wifi cards--even the ones known to have no BIOS whitelists.

All PC manufactuers are required to SAR test their wireless equipment used in notebooks.

So, they SAR test a limited number of cards to meet the regulations.

https://apps.fcc.gov/kdb/GetAttachment.html?id=u%2BFlQhsdXkOhbjYvIX0peA%3D%3D&desc=616217%20D04%20SA...

HP Recommended

I have ordered a 7260 AC card with a HP partnumber.

Will update thread when I get around to test it.

HP Recommended

I ordered a 7260AC with the HP part number.

It works perfectly with BIOS 68IAV F.70 in my 8570w. Connecting at 866 Mbps in the 5G band if the signal is good.

I cannot tell if this card has been specificly whitelisted in any BIOS version. Will give it a spin in my other 8570w with F.31 before I update the BIOS there as well. (I finally managed to find out how to update the BIOS without windows on hand.)

Thanks again, Paul.

Dag B

HP Recommended

That is great news, Dag.

Thanks for reporting back.

Paul

HP Recommended

It works under F.31 as well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.