Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

All of a sudden my computer won't connect wirelessly. It detects available networks but isn't able to connect. Resetting the IP address doesn't work. I recently ran a factory restore as a last resort but it still won't connect. Wired connection works. All other devices can connect to wireless without problems.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @smcar ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the computer cannot connect to your wireless network. I'll do what I can to assist you!

First, you want to make sure the basic troubleshooting is done:

Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 😎
Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection (Windows 7)

In comparison to the router, where is the notebook and where is everything else? Also, is the computer connected to a 5.0 GHz channel or 2.4 GHz? This information can be important and might explain why there are issues.

Next, power cycling the network is useful since it will refresh everything:

1. Shut down your notebook.
2. Unplug the power to your router.
3. Unplug the power to your modem.
4. Wait at least 45 seconds.
5. Plug in the modem, and wait for it to come back online.
6. Plug in the router, and wait for it to come back online.
7. Turn on your notebook, and test your connection.

Disable the Power Off option for the adapter. This is to ensure it isn't turning off or losing power:

1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless adapter driver is next, since the driver may need to be refreshed:

1. Go into Device Manager, then Network adapters.

2. Right-click on the wireless driver, and select "Uninstall".

3. Restart the computer. This will force the driver to reinstall itself. Test.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:

1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:

1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

Test another connection:

Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.

If those three steps do not resolve the issue, try this document published by Microsoft for networking issues: Wired and wireless network problems.

Please let me know your results. If the issue persists, please provide the following information:

1. The computer's model number. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website: Guide to finding your notebook product number

2. The computer's operating system. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website to determine your Windows operating system.

3. Have you installed any new software or drivers on this computer, before the issue appeared?

Additionally, if the issue just began occurring, I would perform a system restore. I want you to bring the computer back to the earliest restore point possible, in an attempt to dodge whatever caused the issue. Here is a document on how to perform a System Restore: System Restore

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I too has same issue  on  HP Pavilion dv6 - Windows 10, Here is what I did 

Network Settings ->Network and Sharing Center->Setup a Connection or Network->Manually connect to a wireless network

1. Provide the name same as that of the "WIFI name"
2. Security WPA2-Personal ( may be different depening on router configuration )
3. Set Passphrase

Started working.  Tested with two if the wifi routers which I could not connect

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.