mediabyr
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP Wireless Assistant won't open in Control Panel

HP Recommended
pavilion dv7-3079wm
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP Wireless Assistant no longer opens in Control Panel, as if it doesn't exists although it is listed in Programs & Features as installed in my computer. It had been working fine forever until just recently I noticed the icon is not in my sys tray and of course there are now no notifications via pop/up when touching the touch bar to turn on/off.   I can turn my wireless on/off using the button on the touch bar with no issues. I have gone to Windows Mobility Center and see that it lists HP WA with a turn off button, but turn on button is greyed out. I have uninstalled version 3.50.9.1 that is currently in my computer(through Programs and Features in CP) and used Recovery Manager to reinstall this software (which is the same version, the original factory installed one).  However, I still do not have Wireless Assistant and it will not open via Control Panel.  When I hover mouse over the HP Wireless Assistant listing in Control Panel it reads HP Wireless Assistant twice.  I have also gone to HP site to download a newer version of WA but each one states that it is not the correct version for my system even though my OS and my laptop (dv7 series) is listed as correct system requirements for the updated versions.  Please help me with any options as to how to get the Wireless Assistant back into my dv7 and get any updated versions that may be needed.  My network card is Atheros AR5009 802.11/a/g/n wifi adapter version 8.0.0.171 July 8 2009, if that helps at all.  This adapter is working just fine, just HP Wireless Assistant is no longer working.  Thank you in advance for any and all help.

3 REPLIES 3
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
134,889 124,245 20,664 31,755
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Uninstall the HPWA software, restart the PC, and try the newer HP Connection Manager software which superceded the HPWA.

It basically works the same way.

This package provides the HP Connection Manager for the supported notebook running a supported operating system.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp53001-53500/sp53394.exe

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
mediabyr
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Paul:

Thank you for responding.  I will try your suggestion.  I now have also noticed that the CCX Diagnostic Utility application in Control Panel (that I believe was for my Atheros network card AR5009????) has lost its icon and when I click it, the error comes up as Application Not Found.  (States explorer.exe at top of error window).  Are these two issues connected?  Do I need the CCX Diagnostic Utility?  If so, where do I find it? 

Thank you again.  I will try your suggestion to uninstall the HPWA and use the new one you suggest for my system.  I will report back as to how it goes.

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
134,889 124,245 20,664 31,755
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, I believe you are correct regarding that utility, and it is probably part of the atheros wlan driver package.

I doubt you need it and if it doesn't work and is listed in the add/remove programs list in the control panel, then you may want to uninstall it.

You may also want to install the latest driver for that model wlan card and see if it updates the utility.

This package contains the drivers for the supported Atheros Wireless LAN Adapters in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

9.2.0.444 (14 Sep 2011)

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54972.exe

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation