Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Laptop Model 17-by1053dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It is brand new. When I got through the set up I took it off “Window S Mode” is that okay also? The main problem I’m having is getting the 5G WiFi to even appear for me. I’ve tried the netsh wlan show drivers and saw under Radio Types Supported & also tried the device manager couple steps.. NO LUCK! Somebody save me so I can basically not have technically wasted all this money to not even be able to play with somewhat “good” 5G internet.

802.11b 802.11g 802.11n

model: RTL8723DE

PLEASE HELP!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

The  RTL8723DE is a single band wifi adapter that can only connect to the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

Any time you see a wireless N adapter with a suffix that ends in bgn, that means it is a single band wifi adapter.

Dual band wireless N adapters have suffixes that end in abgn or agn.

You can replace the internal card with the Realtek 8821CE dual band AC wifi adapter, or purchase an external USB AC wifi adapter.

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your reply. Is there a Adapter that is compatible for my Windows HP to be able to run 5G Network, and would I need it just to plug into my computer? Or on both ends.. ??? Why would my router give out 5G to all my other devices if you're saying it is not compatible??? Or are you saying the whole Laptop itself is not compatible?! Ugh so confused just need to know how to get 5G up and running for my Laptop for Gaming! 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm saying all the internal card can do is connect to the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

It does not have a 5G transmitter/receiver.

You have two options...

1. Purchase a dual band AC USB wifi adapter.

They make some nano type AC adapters that hardly stick out of the USB port.

2. Replace the internal RTL8723DE wifi adapter with this one...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported)   HP part # L17365-005.

The only place I have been able to find this model is on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

Below is the link to the service manual for your PC, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06148960

HP Recommended

If I'm not tech savvy is this do-able by myself? Do places offer services to replace the Adapter card?? Honestly is it that much of a difference just buying a usb dual adapter??? Could you point me in the right direction of the Dual Adapter that are Windows HP compatible or do most work on all computers?

HP Recommended

I wouldn't pay anyone to upgrade the internal card, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

It would cost a lot of money.

Just buy a decent USB dual band nano adapter.

Here are a few recommendations...

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-USB-AC53-Nano-Dual-Band-Compatible/dp/B071KV2SMV/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=wi-...

https://www.amazon.com/Cudy-650Mbps-Wireless-Included-Compatible/dp/B07TV1BC5M/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=w...

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Wireless-Network-Desktop-10-6-10-13/dp/B076P3TGSL/ref=sr_1_35?keyword...

HP Recommended

Last question.. I see each of those you sent have different mbps some say 400 some say 600 I’ve seen a few that are 1200mbps... are these all compatible with my model and obviously the higher mbps are better to get right?? Just wondering if there’s a 1200Mbps USB Adapter for my HP? I’m also confused is my HP computer a “windows” or? What specific brand is my computer? Is it Hewlett-Packard?.. or Microsoft? So confused lol thank you for all my painful questions.. the HP customer service is no help and keeps sending me to the HP page where I try to look up HP USB adapters that support 5GHZ with 0 luck.

HP Recommended

Yes, they are all compatible and yes they have various speed ratings.

The 'AC 600' models have a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band using an AC router.

The 'AC1200' models have twice the throughput (867 MBPS) on the 5.0 GHz wifi band using an AC router.

It depends on how much you want to pay and it depends on how what download speed your internet service provider is giving you.

For example:  I have Spectrum internet and I pay for 200 MBPS download speeds.

So, one of those AC 600 wifi adapters would be fine for me since they can handle up to 433 MBPS.

Of course I would prefer to get the fastest one for the cheapest price.

So, if you want to pay $33.00 for the ASUS one I posted, that would be a good one for you.

I don't think they make any faster USB adapters as small as the 3 links I posted.

You really don't want some huge contraption sticking out from your USB port.   At least I wouldn't.

Bear in mind that HP does not make any hardware. 

They may put their name on it, but someone else makes the hardware.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.