6 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Network Adapter not detecting 5Ghz

HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI

I have an HP envy bought in 2016. Just found out that it doesnt have a dual band adapter duet to which I am having issues at several places where I need to connect to wifi. How can I get this resolved, my machine is still under warranty . Secondly almost everytime I come into my home or office network my laptop fails to detect the wifi and I have to restart the machine to get online. This is very inconvenient. Can anyone suggest a way out.

Has any of you with the same machine noticed that its a bit slow, even after being the configuration that it is. My old laptop boots and performs much faster. 

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,735 42,524 6,796 11,864
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You simply identify the laptop as an Envy and there are lots of Envy models. Please specify yours. If your laptop does not have a dual band (5 ghz) wireless card the only way to get one is to replace your card and install a dual band card. That is not going to be a warranty thing it will be at your expense. As for the slow performance that is going to require a bit more information and troubleshooting. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the prompt response. 

My Laptop is HP Envy 13 d 000ne. I dont know if this has a dual band adapter? The problem is not about the band alone, almost every time I move out of my work or home wifi and get back 8 out of 10 times the network is not detected. This happens when I am trying to access a wifi at a new place too. If I switch off the wifi then it doesnt start again and the only solution is to restart the laptop and it just defeats the purpose of "sleep" or hibernation mode. As for the slow perfrmance I have no idea. I tried chatting with HP support (USA) today, was told to contact my local tech support and shared the no, which seems to be out dated and not in service now. 

I am based in Dubai, UAE. 

Appreciate any help I can get. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It does not have a dual band adapter. It is a high specification machine otherwise, however. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
So this will be solved if I upgrade to dual band adapter. Any sugfestions on what type/brand/configuration to get.
What about the reconnection problem? Why doesn't the machine detect the WiFi network. Have to restart almost every time to connect to the network. This is a serious issue.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Some HP laptops use a single wifi antenna and very low-end wireless cards. These units are a constant source of all kinds of issues.  It may also be that your card is defective, which seems the best explanation. 

Here is your Manual:

Manual

Only an Intel 7265ac, which is a great card, and a Broadcom, which is a pretty good card, are listed. You should be able to tell in device manager which you have. 

Page 31 of the Manual shows how to replace. You should also be able to run a diagnostic test on the wireless card (and other components) by tapping F2 as you power up. 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation