Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Realtek RTL8723BE Network Adapter Issues

HP-Pavilion-15-p168ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been having real issues with the computer locking up for several week.  It looked like a driver issue, but all the updates and 4 fresh Windows installs in the last 4 week failed to help.  It would typically freeze 3 or 4 times per hour and alt-ctl-delete could not save it.

Some observations:

- sometimes if I watched the wifi indicator I noticed just before a crash that the signal was lost.  If I rushed to device manager, I could disable the adapter and re-enable so the crash was prevented.

- sometimes the device manager said there was no driver installed for this device, yet I was on wifi only moments before.

Ready to throw the computer in the trash, but then I saw my old HP laptop which overheated 'til it died.  I stole the wifi adapter out of it and swapped out the Realtek.  The old Qualcomm Atheros AR8295 adapter is working like a charm...3 solid days without a freeze, but I no longer have Bluetooth.  The only puzzling thing is that the old computer had 2 wire leads to the adapter, while this p168ca has only 1 wire.

Did I find the real issue?  How do I get a new replacement adapter?  Is there a better "upgrade" adapter?

1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
104631 95182 14664 22548
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Realtek RTL8723BE Network Adapter Issues

Hi:

I would agree with you that the wifi card is the root cause of your dilemma.

HP has this nasty habit of only installing one antenna on notebooks with single band wlan cards, so your only other option would be to get another card with only one terminal.

Upgrading to a dual band card is a no-go unless you are willing to take the whole notebook apart including the display panel area to run a 2nd antenna.

Now, is the Realtek bluetooth card bad, or does it just have a problem with W10?

Therein lies the question.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation