Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thread Exception Not Handled bcmwl63a.sys BSOD when running uTorrent

HP Pavilion 15-ak100ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've just purchased a HPPavilion 15-ak100ur gaming laptopand I've been having this problem for 2 days. I installed Windows 10, and I've been trying to download things using uTorrent, and every time I've done this, a blue screen of death described in the topic name happened after downloading for some time. I've tried Googling, most of the info I've gathered seemed to indicate it has something to do with the Broadcom Wi-Fi drivers. I've tried updating drivers. I tried deleting them and installing them again. Same error. Reverting to earlier versions of the driver resulted in different errors( like Page Fault in Non Paged Area). I've tried checking the hard drive for errors using the chkdsk command in command line. I've even tried updating the videocard drivers just in case. The BSOD doesn't seem to happen anytime else except for when using uTorrent. Nothing seems to solve my problem. I've been trying to figure this out for 2 days. I am running out of ideas on what can I do. Please help me.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18483 18430 1510 2554
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@UserUser22

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 
For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the computer gets a blue screen error "system service exception igdkmd64.sys"while attempting to use torrents and here's what I recommend for you:

For starters, perhaps you can use an alternate torrent downloaded? let me know if that works, if it doesn't - follow the below steps:

Enter safe mode:

1. Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power > Restart.
  2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  3. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options > select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

Re-install Video & Sound card drivers:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. In the list of devices, expand the component you want to reinstall.
  3. Right-click the device and select Uninstall (do the same for both Audio driver & Display Adapters)
  4. Click on file and scan for hardware changes (that should automatically reinstall the drivers)

Update your drivers using the HP Support Assistance:

1. In Windows, search for and open HP Support Assistant.
  2. The first time you open HP Support Assistant, a Welcome to HP Support Assistant window opens.
  3. The welcome window displays various default settings.
  4. Click Next to open the My devices window.
  5. Click My devices on the top of the HP Support Assistant window, then click Updates in the My PC box.

For more details: Click here

Keep computer and video card adequately cool:

Overheating can cause your video card’s chipset to lock up, so make sure your PC and your video card are adequately cooled.

Hardware Acceleration to none:

Setting the Hardware Acceleration option to None could fix the error. However, by doing so, you might reduce your video card’s functionality and performance.

Follow these steps:

1. Click Start
  2. Type display in the search results
  3. Select Display from the list
  4. Go to Change Display Settings
  5. Click Advanced Settings
  6. Go to Troubleshoot
  7. Click Change Settings
  8. Drag the Hardware Acceleration slider to None
  9. Click OK
  10. Restart your computer

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
UserUser22 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, however:

I don't think you've read th topic header carefully. The error was System Thread Excdption Not Handled, rather than System Service Exception. Also, the driver file was named bcmwl63a.sys, not igdkmd64.sys.

I have already tried reinstalling the video card and sound drivers, didn't work for me, neither did Safe Mode.

I've been trying to do somehing about the error, and tried to reinstall Windows, but then a new problem appeared. My laptop wouldn't recognize Wi-Fi networks at all. It happened when I tried to install Windows at first, after that I installed another Windows on the same disk where the previous Windows was installed. Then I got my Wi-Fi working, but got the Torrent problem I posted about in he thread.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18483 18430 1510 2554
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@UserUser22

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

My bad, I seem to have copied the wrong template as I had been replying to multiple users and got it mixed up, I appreciate you pointing that out 🙂

Thanks, that said, here are the steps to resolve the issues related to bcmwl63a.sys:

Also to my last question: you can use an alternate torrent downloader? let me know if that works

As you may already know the BCMWL63A.SYS is related to the Broadcom Wireless drivers and/or Hardware acceleration with your Flash player:
The best way to fix the issue is to delete the drivers and install the latest drivers from either HP website or elsewhere: Click here to watch a YouTube video with the details and directions.

Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation