Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Look for my solution here .  

Hope this helps you or any other, who has similar problem.

Best Regards,

HP Recommended

i did all of this, but won't work

when i use anther laptop i get a full signal and when i sit in the same place with my HP i got nothing .

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my daughters pavilon.  Turns out it was not a software issue at all. The WiFi adapter was up to date and functioning properly.  All updates were applied.  The real issue I uncovered was the antenna connector can get jarred loose from the wifi module resulting in a lose of signal.  Without an antenna the signal strength degrades rapidly with distance.

If your wifi works fine at very close range and degrades rappidly with range, this is most likely is your problem with this laptop..  Turn the laptop over and remove the screws including the two under the back legs.   If your having issues, follow the manual instructions on line.   Once the cover is off, inspect and reseat the antenna connector back to the wifi module.  Mine was totally disconnected from it.  It will probably be obvious.  I also added a dab of silicon to hold the connector in place so it won't happen again.  This is a manufacturing problem and this connector style should be replaced in future designs or properly secured with non conductive adhesive.  The entire process takes about 10 minutes.   My laptop wifi signal works fine again and I am back at full strength.   I am sure HP is aware of this but I have seen nothing on line mentioning this as a problem..      Good Luck, hope this helps

P.S    I am a Electical enginner with 30 yrs experience with electronics in research labs. I am confident this is a common theme with this particular connector style used. 

HP Recommended
In my case , It was not software drivers or any settings. The antenna connector has jarred loose from the wifi module. It's a press fit style that sits upside down on the module. No adhesive was applied to ensure this stays in place resulting in the connector falling off. Remove all power then Remove your back cover , 9 screws + 2 under the rear leg covers. There is a manual on line if your not sure. The antenna cable and connector is very visible on top. Press it back down. I added a very small dap of silicon (non conductive)to hold it back in place otherwise this will likely happen again. Reinstall the cover. My wifi signal is back to full bars again as I move around the house. Hope this helps you.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

I had a similar problem with my Pavilion f217ng (Broadcom). The Wifi signal was weak in front of the router and two rooms away there was no signal.  With other devices (tablet, phone, oher laptops) there were no similar problems.

I am running windows 10 and the drivers are updated.

I read this forum and decided to check if its possible to open the cover/service door to check the connection of the antenna to the wifi card. I was reading the service manual (on the laptop) as the laptop was running, and I briefly lifted it over my head to check where the screws are on the under side.   There is no service door on my model, but on the under side, between the vents, there is a hole covered with some sort of a small rubber cap, probably glued. It appears rubbery to the touch and on my laptop it appered a little bit slipped out of place.  I pushed it a bit in because it looked funny displaced, but I didnt expect any consequences because the movement was really small. The feeling was something like centering a badly glued sticker.

After I put the laptop down on the table, the signal was suddenly full and I was picking up other networks from the neighbours.

Now, I don't know if it was the force of slightly shaking the laptop while putting it down that made the contact with the antenna better, or if that contact is maybe under that rubber cap but it seems that I had the hardware problem as well. The laptop is brand new (three weeks old).  I am sorry I cant post the photos of my laptop on this forum to show what I pressed, if you have the same problem, post it here and we will find a way to publish it. 

HP Recommended

Dear Guy21,

I can't thank you enough for posting this information! I just bought this HP Pavilion 11 x360 laptop for my daughter and she had the same wifi problem. We knew it was the HP and not the wifi network because other devices sitting next to the new laptop had full signals.

We searched the internet for solutions and thank goodness we found your post. We did exactly what you said, using a diagram in the online manual to figure out what the WLAN looked like. Indeed the tiny little antenna was completely detached! It took her a few minutes to find it because it was so tiny. She placed the tiny spatula-shaped antenna back on the WLAN rectangle and snapped it into place. The wifi signal went fully to 4 bars as soon as she turned it on. Amazing!

We live overseas and this saved us the time, expense and headache of shipping the defective laptop back to the US for repair/replacement. 

HP Recommended

Hi, the same thing happened to me, Do not act until you have read everything I have to say.  I opened my netbook pavillion x360, looked around,  reconnected the wifi antena to another socket and voila, full signal.  Today, a few months later, same thing happened to a friends HP stream x360 (few hardware changes) right after software reinstallation, so I realized it could be fixed through software.  The driver is OK, you just have to fo to the Device Manager, Advanced options tab of the Wifi Adapter 802.11n broadcom driver in the "properties" window, go to Antenna diversity and switch it to auxiliary.  For some reason HP has not realized this and the default antenna is automatic, which does not work.  Same thing must be happening to it's bluetooth which I have not been able to use. 

This usually happens afeter windows 10 and windows 8 installation as their default values do not match what assembly line should be doing also as default, switch the sockets.

Hope this helped.

ALAN

HP Recommended

Hi, the same thing happened to me, Do not act until you have read everything I have to say.  I opened my netbook pavillion x360, looked around,  reconnected the wifi antena to an alternate socket and voila, full signal.  Today, a few months later, same thing happened to a friend's HP stream x360 (few hardware changes) right after software reinstallation, so I realized it could be fixed through software.  The driver is OK, you just have to fo to the Device Manager, Advanced options tab of the Wifi Adapter 802.11n broadcom driver in the "properties" window, go to Antenna diversity and switch it to auxiliary (the dafult is auto).  For some reason HP has not realized this,  and the default antenna is automatic, which does not work as is not internally connected.

This usually happens afeter windows 10 and windows 8 installation as their default values do not match what assembly line should be doing also as default, switch the sockets.

Hope this helped.

ALAN

HP Recommended

Fix : This problem cause because probably your wireless antenna have problem or it is got damaged. So Change your internal wireless antenna and everything will fix.

HP Recommended

I had the same issue (Weak Signals) on my HP Pavilion 15 Note Book PC....

the following steps solved my issue and now I have full signals (better or equals as compared to othere laptops ).

Step 1: Disabled Baterry Saver option by clicking on Battery icon in task bar then Clicking on Battery Saver option from the Popup window.

Step 2:  Changed the power Plan to High Performance and then  restored its setting to defaults..

Note: at this stage my problem wasn't solved...

Step 3: Finally updated the Device Driver of my Wireless Adapter .....

after that I restarted my Laptop and.......... 🙂 🙂 🙂      you know what I mean...... my problem was solved ...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.