Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

WiFi button won't turn on

pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

hi, I have a pavilion dv6-615nr which is about 5 years old. WiFi button worked well until couple of months ago and now it works as it wishes. Now it is always orange and though I press it won't change. Sometimes it changes into blue but it happens rarely and it stays only few minutes. Again it turns orange. 

The WiFi card is Intel Centrino Wireless- N 1000.

Sometimes this doesn't show up in the network adapter(device manager) and sometimes with a caution mark. When I troubleshoot it says they fix it. but button is still orange and WiFi doesn't work at all. 

Please tell me what should I do. It's really giving me a headache.
Thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
114,520 104,698 16,521 25,354
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the wireless card is intemittently disappearing completely from the device manager, perhaps the connection from the card to the slot it plugs into, has become oxidized.

I would try removing and firmly reseating the wireless card.  If you can leave the antennas attached when doing that, it will save you the hassle of having to reattach those tiny antennas.

Check the maintenance and service guide (chapter 4, pp 67-68) for your notebook, for how to remove and replace the wireless card.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252

Always remove the battery and unplug the notebook from A/C power when working inside of it.

Then I would install a newer driver for that model card directly from Intel...the 2nd one down on the left is for W7 x64.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23491/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windo...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help. 
By the way do I have to install this in the same way that I install other softwares?

Your help saved my life.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately it didn't work. Still the the button is orange and in the device manager intel shows up with the caution mark.

HP Connection Manager says WiFi is disabled.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that didn't work for you.

Try uninstalling the wireless card in the device manager, check the uninstall driver box, restart the PC and reinstall the driver I posted.

Did you try removing and reseating the wireless card?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I tried removing and resetting the card. but il didn't work. Where can I find the uninstall driver box?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I re-install, message popped up saying it wasn't installed properly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Something is a mess.

Try reinstalling the driver from your notebook's support page.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54841.exe

If that doesn't work, I recommend you back up any files you don't want to lose and try a factory reset of the notebook.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation