Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

internet adapters have failed

pavillion 15 notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For HP. The product # is E9G71UA#ABL.The WiFi adapter is Railink RT3290 using 802.11bgn.The ethernet adapter is RealtekPCIe FE Family Controller.

Neither of these devices are able to connect to the router.Neither by cable nor wirelessly. The router is  an Actiontec R1000H.

The error message is "No IP address found". I have gone to forums and learned that I could manually input IP ,subnet mask,gateway,default gateway,preferred and alternate DNS  server numbers. This didn't work.I switched back to find automatically.No good.

The other devices I have , which are also HP , have Broadcom WiFi adapters which have no problems connecting. This message is being sent on a g5 so the Broadcom seems to have a bit of life.Another unit is an Acer Netbook with a Broadcom.

I can tinker with some things, but the other solutions I read ,such as getting into the modem and changing this and resetting that doesn't appeal to me.

My little girl is going to need this thing for school, so I wonder, as both network adapters failed, is there some sort of reset?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,409 42,198 6,728 11,752
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

internet adapters have failed

It would be good to have the whole model number of the computer. It seems a coincidence that both network adapters went out at the same time. It might be a virus as malware can sometimes interfere with network functions. I get the sense we are not going to be able to have you do any sort of advanced network configuration troubleshooting so perhaps the easiest thing is to do a factory restore which should get rid of any malware on the hard drive and reset all the settings. 

It can also be something like a bad hard drive which prevents the OS from working correctly. Is the computer otherwise slow to boot up? 

Tap F11 as you power up to enter the recovery program if you are ready to try that. Back up any documents, pictures or other files first as the recovery will delete them.  

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation