cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TuuS
Level 3
22 18 2 9
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

4 primary partitions for 1 windows installation??? Really???

I just replaed my failed harddrive on my Pavilion DV7 4060us, and after using the set of recovery discs, I see that it's made 4 primary partitions, so I'm unable to install other operating systems.

Why in the world do they need to use the maximum of 4 primary partitions???    

I have "system", "windows partition", "recovery" and "tools".    Surely this could be done with some of this in logical partitions. I really want to install a backup windows installation as well as Linux, so I need at least one extended partition with a few logial partitions within it. I don't want to disable the instant on environment, or disable the recovery features though. Can I move the contents of "tools" into a logical partition with the same drive letter without effecting functions of anything?   Any other solutions?

I've considered installinng  a second harddrive, although it shouldn't be necessary, but I'm told this model needs a longer sata cable for the second drive and the cables that are cheap on ebay won't reach.

I do like this computer, but it really seems like the engineers didn't think this stuff through when they designed it. I won't even begin to describe how poor the touchpad design is, or the keyboard too, but I'd be grateful if anyone can offer the easiest solution.

Also, my computer only had a 1year warranty, but most harddrive manufacturers have 3year warranty, is there any hope of getting my drive repaired/replaced?   I purchased the computer in July 2010.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,896 16,644
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

This may help with a couple of points you raise.

There is an excellent guide by Daniel_Potyrala on the link below detailing several ways to get around the '4 primary partitions issue'.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-questions/How-to-repartition-HDD-of-HP-notebook-with-...

I'm certain that the Hard Drive that comes with the notebook is covered by the same warranty as the machine itself - ie 1 Year.

There are some fairly inexpensive Sata cables on the links below.

Sata Cable 20" ( 2 Pack ).

Sata Cable 24".

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
TuuS
Level 3
22 18 2 9
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, I'll look at  the guide you mention. 

As for your links to cables, they are for desktop computers, I nneed one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-PAVILION-DV7-HDD-SATA-Hard-Drive-Connector-CABLE-/400220622028?pt=PCC_Dri...

Specifically one long enough to reach the second drive pay on a pavilion DV7 4000 series laptop. I believe the one offered on ebay will only work on the primary harddrive.

0 Kudos
Level 18
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is an example of the sort of kit you will need Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

TuuS
Level 3
22 18 2 9
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you, that looks like the exact kit I'd need. Now I just need to decide which route I want to take. 

As for my failed harddrive, I was thinking of going to the drives manufaturer to see about getting it fixed/replaced. They will probably try to send me back to HP, but if I'm persistant, they may do a warranty claim. I just need to lookup what warranty the model comes with. Many have 3years.

ps. sent you some kudos   🙂

0 Kudos
Level 18
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

Regarding your warranty term, it may be easiest to contact HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
TuuS
Level 3
22 18 2 9
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just checked Toshiba's website. The drive has a 3year warranty so I'm going to try to get it warrantied by them because I know the HP warranty has expired. 

I also would prefer to not have to send the computer in for repairs, but I'll contact them if I'm unable to get any service from toshiba.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation