cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
AustinC97
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Accidentally uninstalled Validity Fingerprint Sensors software

HP Recommended

Name:   HP ENVY dv6 Notebook PC

Number: C8B62PA#ABG

Windows 8 (64-bit) also compatible with (x86)

I was in device manager and I was trying to get 'Validity Sensors' working but it was strange because it was named validity sensors (wbf) (pid=0018) and wasn't operating.

I first noticed that it stopped working when I uninstalled Norton off my computer. So I tried fixing it but made things worse.

My fingerprint sensor usually works by 'HP SimplePass' but it didn't I just need the driver software, how can I do this?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
AustinC97
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nevermind I got it working again.

/ReqClose

0 Kudos
maddieswaffield
Level 1
13 9 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How did you get it working again? I have the same problem after uninstalling Norton!

0 Kudos
maddieswaffield
Level 1
13 9 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
0 Kudos
Błażej
Level 1
10 6 0 3
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem, but on Win 7 HP 64-bit. Could you explain how you solved your problem on Win8, maybe I could do something similar on Win7?

0 Kudos
HandyAndy14
Retired
Retired
394 960 38 154
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Błażej,

I would like to assist you with getting your fingerprint sensors working again. All I need to assist you better is the model/product number from your computer, as you already stated that your computer is running Windows 7.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
Błażej
Level 1
10 6 0 3
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for response and trying to help.

I have got HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC, B1T06EA#AKD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1, still on warranty.

Fingerprint sensor: Validity Sensors (WBF) (PID=0018) / USB\VID_138A&PID_0018&REV_0078

I try to explain what is my problem. I log in to laptop using fingerprint sensor, but after that I noticed that I cannot log in to any website. Fingerprint sensor was "dead". Status LED didn't light up. I saw in Device Manager that "Biometric Devices" is missing and now is only :Unknown Device" with standard Windows drivers and error code 43. I coudn't update drivers to ones found on HP site - Windows shows me only a message that correct drivers are already installed. I used also Windows recovery (not HP recovery or whole system recovery) to day where everything was fine, but it didn't help.

Frist I wrote this post, but after that I found another post on the forum where HP expert ("Regents Professor Dragon-Fur") explain exactly to someone what should be done: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Envy-dv6-7250ca-Windows-7-Validy-Sensor-not-working/m...

I followed the steps. "Unknown device" changed again to "Biometric device" and LED status is light up during Windows start.

Now I have problem with HP SimplePass 6.0 (the newest version updated through HP Support Assistant). I cannot register my fingerprint. When I open HP SimplePass manually or after entered a password on a website, I see

for about 1 second a screen where I should register my fingerprint moving my finger few times on sensor, but after this second I see a message: "You probably have some difficulties. Do you want to try again?". I tried many times without success. Sometimes I see also a screen where I can choose which finger I would like to register.

I uninstalled and installed drivers and HP SimplePass few times but it didn't help.

So, now I have problem with software (HP SimplePass), of course If fingerprint isn't broken.

What should I do to register my finger?

What was the reason of such failure?

Kind regards,

Blazej

Poznan, Poland (EU)

0 Kudos
HandyAndy14
Retired
Retired
394 960 38 154
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Błażej,

With all of that troubleshooting that you have already performed, I recommend calling our technical support for further assistance. You can reach our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
Błażej
Level 1
10 6 0 3
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello HandyAndy14,

I called to HP technical support in Poland. They replaced biometric device for new one. Now everything is working fine.

Thanks again for trying help!

Merry Christmas in December 🙂

S1lence1
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry to necropost buut this was the only page I could find for accidently deleting the fingerprint software. If anyone else has this issue when upgrading to win 7 or win 10 I found the software at https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-hdx-x18-1000-premium-notebook-pc-series/3769212/... and was able to reinstall it.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation