cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
21 14 1 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

After Upgrading to WIndows 10, function key (F2) is not working, deletes the folder

HP Recommended
Pavilion Desktop H8-1130a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After upgrading to WIndows 10 the other day, I copied some 30Gb of videos and pics from my phone onto a connected USB HDD.

using Windows Explorer:

- I created a new folder

- Using F2 function key, I renamed the folder from 'New Folder' to '2015-16'

- all good then I copied (moved) the files over to this folder

once done, I decided to rename the folder to different name

- I pressed F2 function key to rename it but pressed ÉSC' to abort it

- the folder was renamed to 'New Folder'

- I then pressed F2 again to rename it and the Folder's gone !

-I checked the recycle bin, not there

There you go. how can I recover these prics

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,494 41,741 4,567 12,072
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is it an android phone?

If so, have you checked the DCIM folder in the phone's directory?

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate. the Product number
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
21 14 1 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is but I cut/move the files from DCIM folder to my USB drive.

I found the culprit.  Its the keyboard's "Function" lock key, it was not pressed.  This Microsoft keyboard allowed that option to disabled and I totally forgot all about it.

I tried and tested it again and that is the reason.

Thanks for your post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
21 14 1 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A question I have is: the default F2 function was undo (based on the MS keyboard labels).  I would think it will be moved to Recycled bin, if UNDOing something. Oh well..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you undid the copy after deleting the folder, then you know what that means.  

The next time you want to rename something, I highly recommend that you use the right click of the touchpad with the cursor placed on the file name. A menu will appear and copy and rename are among the options available.

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate. the Product number
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
21 14 1 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks.

To recover, I should have done a 'redo' or F3 -- I totally forgot about that too (thanks Marco).  The 'redo' should have recovered everything(?).

also, do not shutdown your PC until you've exhausted all options.

0 Kudos
Tags (2)
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Who is Marco?

There are only two of us in this thread.

I am not an HP Employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
21 14 1 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

He was in another forum and he's following this thread too. Didn't realise I acknowleedged him here.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation