cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

Solved!

BIOS, Disk Drive, or Software Problem?

HP Recommended

Hi, everyone. I was pleasantly surprised to discover these forums here, because do I EVER need help!

I have an HP Pavilion dv6675us (dv6500 series) running 64-bit Vista Ultimate. It's a little over a year old. Yesterday, after installing security updates for several applications (as recommended by Secunia) and shutting the system down, I booted from a BootIt NG CD to see if I could resize my partitions, and it told me that all my partitions had either not been formatted or were corrupt. I then tried to boot from the hard drive, and my laptop crashed with a BSOD (for the umpteenth time). As usual, the message flashes by too fast to read, but it was something about an installed device not being available (similar to the message I've seen every previous time). I had just been trying to get my system back to its previous state after the last crash--and was almost there. 😞

I have a Vista Ultimate install DVD, so I next ran Setup and entered Repair mode to see if I could repair any OS problems, and was told that Setup couldn't find an OS--or even a hard drive! It told me to insert a CD with the hard disk drivers, which of course I don't have. The next thing I tried was to reboot and check the BIOS to see if the hard drive was registered properly. I have a Phoenix BIOS, Version F.51. All the BIOS Setup Utility showed me was some system information, with no hard drive information and no user settings. (There was a Diagnostic Log that could be clicked on, but the arrow keys did nothing.)

I do have a full image that I backed up night before last, but at this point, I'm not sure what good it would do to restore it, or even if I would be able to. Is this whole thing a BIOS problem? What would have caused it? Is it possible the battery has died already?

I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable PC guy, but I'm lost here. Any help would be  greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance....

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
43,463 43,250 6,932 12,158
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If the BIOS and the Vista recovery program are both showing no hard drive present I suspect your hard drive has crashed. The only other possibility is that you somehow corrupted the partition table so that it is just not being recognized, although that should not affect whether the BIOS sees a hard disk present. I would remove it from the machine and use a SATA to usb adapter and see if it spins up and can be recognized by another computer. You could also try dban and see if you can do a complete zero fill (low level format). The more recent versions of dban will detect and work with SATA hard drives. Use the .iso version to make a bootable dban cd. Good thing you made an image before all this happened. 

http://www.dban.org/download

Highlighted
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, Huffer.

The thing is that it's not just the hard drive that's not showing up in the BIOS.  There is NOTHING there but a few lines of system information, and nothing that I can change.

Is there a way in Vista to just rebuild the partition table? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
43,463 43,250 6,932 12,158
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Laptop BIOS just do not have much there. Try the dban and then see if your Vista disk will work. It should install to a completely blank hard drive just fine assuming the drive still functions. Dban will tell you if it is detecting a drive.

Highlighted
Level 4
148 148 6 38
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try the drive diagnostic test in the bios menu.

If you have access to a desktop with (presumably SATA) support, pull the drive and  hook it up to the desktop to check it for errors with both Windows checkdisk and the HDD manufacturer's utility.  Try to copy off any valuable data before doing this.

I'm suggesting that the hard drive may have failed, else the BootIt CD did something that caused corruption.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you both for your suggestions. Huffer, you were right--apparently I had somehow completely managed to screw up the partition table.

As I was having trouble getting dban to download, I decided to use TrueImage's utility which seems to do the same. After doing that I was able to partition the drive, format, and restore my backups. Everything is now back to normal.

Thanks again! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,I have a Pavilion dv6000 and like 2 weeks from now I put my computer off with no problems.Next day I started the computer and start in a loop trying to run but don't go more than just a loop..you can see the HP logo and after a couple of seconds goes off and again on...off, on, off and on....all in a loop. I tried to run the Recovery disk system and gave me an Error 100a. According HP tech support this errors means that I have a hard drive problem that need to be replace.

If there is a way to by pass the boost section when I'm in the Set up section? If there is another CD that I can run? Option is to replace the hard drive for $400...to much!! or a new laptop...

If anyone know a way to correct this, please advise

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
148 148 6 38
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

JDNV,

enter the bios menu where you will find a drive testing option.  Run it and see what it reports.

If the drive has failed you can purchase a replacement 2.5" SATA notebook drive for about $60 and up at many popular online stores.

If you did not make recovery discs so you have no way to reinstall the OS, you might need to order those from HP Parts, but you wrote "another CD" making it seem you have the CD?  Personally I would pull the drive out and mount it in another system to see if I could get any important data off and check it with the hard drive manufacturer diagnostics, available from the respective manufacturer's website.

Message Edited by James_Cummins on 01-02-2009 04:06 PM
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
James, I run the Recovery Disk and the laptop dont allow the recovery process with the code 100a, that according HP tech means bad hard drive. How I can get in BIOS? Is under F10Setup? or ESC? I'm not an expert here so any help will be appreciated 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

James, I went to the SETUP....F10. There in the BIOS Menu the only things I see that I can change is the date and time in the first screen (black letters),in another section i tried to run a "self test" but no luck (there is a message that system dont allow the test or something like that), another section is to set the boot order...there is a lot of areas with blue letters that I can't change...how I suppose to change the BIOS then? By the way the CD that I have is the one that HP sent me to do the recovery...is not running because the 100a code (Hard disk failure)

Again, any help will be appreciated! : )

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation