Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Well its not the drivers, when the computer is shut down the machine isnt utilizing the drivers. Its almost guaranteed that it is the PD firmware that needs fixing, also since the sphinx fix flashes PD firmware its highly unlikely that this has anything to do with windows drivers.

HP Recommended

Reporting back after applying Sphinx fix to my Canadian model.   

Looks like it did have a positive effect:   After 31.5 hrs it still read 100% charge when powered back on.

I'll continue to monitor the rate of discharge at lower battery levels, per the points made by other folks.  As I'm typing this reply the battery did the "100 to 94" jump.

@lynx3333 wrote:
 I'm trying to decide whether to attempt to downgrade my BIOS. Is that generally a straight forward process?  I found some instructions on line but would rather not do it if it's not helping.

I downgraded my BIOS from F11 to F04 before trying the fix.  It's really straight forward.  Hit F2 after restart to get to the menu and find the option to rollback the BIOS, then go look for the original version from the recovery partition when prompted to select the BIOS.

HP Recommended

@EMM_ELL wrote:

I downgraded my BIOS from F11 to F04 before trying the fix.  It's really straight forward.  Hit F2 after restart to get to the menu and find the option to rollback the BIOS, then go look for the original version from the recovery partition when prompted to select the BIOS.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, it appears I'm screwed. When I got to the screen for rolling back the BIOS, there wasn't anything listed to roll back to. When I did the update, it recommended creating a partition for it so that is what I did. Perhaps it can't find the old one anymore... sigh

HP Recommended

@lynx3333 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, it appears I'm screwed. When I got to the screen for rolling back the BIOS, there wasn't anything listed to roll back to. When I did the update, it recommended creating a partition for it so that is what I did. Perhaps it can't find the old one anymore... sigh

Nah, I'm sure you're not screwed.  There should be a button there that says "select BIOS" or something like that.  It takes you to a file navigator.  Select VenHW Drive Partition 1  >  EFI > HP  > BIOS  > Current (if I recall correctly).

HP Recommended

@EMM_ELL wrote:

Nah, I'm sure you're not screwed.  There should be a button there that says "select BIOS" or something like that.  It takes you to a file navigator.  Select VenHW Drive Partition 1  >  EFI > HP  > BIOS  > Current (if I recall correctly).

Yes, that was there. The file was the same what was under "Upgraded." I thought that that was because I'm already at F11 so "current" and "Upgraded" would be the same.  There was nothing under the "Previous" option which is where I'd expect to find The F04 version

HP Recommended

lynx3333 wrote:

Yes, that was there. The file was the same what was under "Upgraded." I thought that that was because I'm already at F11 so "current" and "Upgraded" would be the same.  There was nothing under the "Previous" option which is where I'd expect to find The F04 version

I can't recall with 100% certainty which folder I ended up clicking through, but I was able to end up back at F04.

Hope Bottomsup's link helps you rollback.

HP Recommended

EEM_ELL and Bottomsup1

Thank you both for all the suggestions. I have a slightly different version Spectre but looking at the link, I was able to figure out how to find my way to the F04 version for my Spectre. It may actually be the same file, but I felt better having it say that it was for my model. So, I've successfully rolled back my BIOS to F04!  I'll charge it back up and leave it off until tomorrow to see if I need to reapply the Sphinx fix again. it should be obvious...

HP Recommended

So i tried for a couple of days now the new Samsung Evo 960 drive and the drain seems to be less, around 1-2% per day. Now, this is probably purely coincidental, since i didn't spend much time with the original Samsung drive and the Sphinx patch applied. I'll spend a couple more days looking at the battery levels.

I don't think this is a drivers thing, since i have a dual setup with a linux installation which i use extensively, and the drain is still there. So probably it's a hardware/firmware issue. I'll probably reach out to some of the media that advertised this laptop with a buyers beware warning with this problem, then i think HP will listen.

HP Recommended
Has anyone gotten a private message from someone from hp based on this thread? If so what was the outcome? Is it worth the time to even respond back?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.