Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Another try..and another disappointment. I do not have Ultimate. Is it possible there is a physical problem with the sensor itself?

HP Recommended

Splunge,

It is always possible the hardware is the underlying cause -- these fingerprinters are pretty sturdy, though, and I would suspect the fault is in the File System somewhere.

You might consider it worth the drastic step of backing up everything and reinstalling the OS.  As painful as that can be, it might answer the question of about whether this anything you can do about it from the software side.

If I were you, I would have on hand a Repair disk, an Image, a couple of backups of everything you "love", and whatever else would make you feel like you could recover the system regardless of what it does to you.  Then I would think on it for a while in hopes that someone comes up with something clever...

I might remove every trace of the fingerprint driver, the HP Software, and then do a couple of sfc /scannow runs.  Then, following "Order of Events" in the Upgrade procedure, try putting the driver and the software back on the system.

Then, if it all still stinks like old rags,  I would just reload the system and find out if the fingerprinter took a nose dive into the abyss.

I wish I could tell you that you could just buy an Eikon Mini and be done with it -- unfortunately Apply bought AuthenTec before anyone else realized what that meant -- no more Eikon Mini fingerprinters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you do have Group Policy control on that system, try configuring Group Policy to ENABLE the device.  This is not usually necessary (in Windows 7);  the policies, if you have access to them, should default to enabled if left alone (unconfigured).  I offer this as a "long shot".  If you do not have access to the Group Policy editor, do not fret over it -- it means the the file system is not set up for this and it cannot therefore apply to your situation.

Reference Only:  Windows 8.1 does like the policies enabled to allow one to use the fingerprinter with the new, native Windows fingerprint software.  Windows 8.1 Group Policy editing is available in Windows 8.1 Pro.

Be sure you have created a Restore Point and make sure your backups are current BEFORE changing settings on your computer. 

Windows 8

Windows key + R (opens the Run command box) >

Windows 7

Start > search / type "Run" > click to open the Run command box >

Next:

type gpedit.msc > Enter >
     Under Computer Configuration > Select Administrative Templates >
          Windows Components > Biometrics

In Biometrics > consider that for a home system, you might enable the following:

1. Allow the use of biometrics
  2. Allow users to log on using biometrics

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I keep wondering if I am missing something obvious.  :indifferent:

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for all the HP Experts who are here to help!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks again, but sfc found no errors. As far as reinstalling Windows: I think that cure might be worse than the disease. But one thing: I while ago you gave me a link for the latest Validity driver and Simplepass, but the version of Simplepass was for the 32-bit. Just in case, do you have a link for the latest 64-bit version of Simplepass. Thanks. You're the best.

HP Recommended

Splunge,

Not to worry; SimplePass will be happy on your 64bit machine.

Drivers and AntiVirus programs are fussy - many system and user programs are just fine.

Many programs in the world have never been rewritten for 64bit -- too expensive when the 32bit will work.

I have included a couple of links to help you become familiar with differences -- and when they matter.

Difference between 32 bit and 64 bit applications

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions

There are a lot of articles written on the subject - Google and be informed!  Smiling.

You might try running a Repair Install -- you still need to have your Backups in order "just in case":

Windows 7: Repair Install

More reference for the fun of reading, reading, reading:

Advanced Boot Options - Windows 7 - Repair your System

The Advanced Boot Options menu is a selectable list of Windows startup modes and troubleshooting tools.

Calls this link at section “Repair your Computer”:

System Recovery Options Menu

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the HP Experts who are here to help!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi. I'm just letting you know that I took your advice and did a repair install of Windows 7 (after backing up the HD). Unfortunately, it did no good. I guess it's time to say that the sensor is dead. I have to say that I expected better from HP than a sensor that became useless after less than two years. I'm really bummed because it was one of the main reasons I chose this laptop.

HP Recommended

Splunge,

Could be hardware - the sensors can break outright, although I have not seen it and it is probably not common.

Assuming nothing else is involved in the failure, the repair is probably not terribly expensive.

Considering that the price of a new system is higher than any simple repair, you might at least look into it.  A good hardware tech can tell you what is going on better.

I wish I could tell you that you could just step around the issue by installing an external fingerprint reader - the best ones (in my opinion) are no longer available for a decent price.  AuthenTec did make and sell (for a short time) a device called the Eikon Mini - great device.  They went away when AuthenTec was sold to Apple.  Now the Eikons that are left are selling for over $120 US instead of the original price of about $10 US.  Supply and Demand, I guess.

Before giving up forever, you might try cleaning the fingperprint device (from the outside) and see if that helps it come back to life.

Reference:   Troubleshooting a Fingerprint Reader (Windows 7, Vista, XP)

Good Luck!

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the HP Experts who are here to help!

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.