Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15r Touchsmart
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Okay I recently have been hooking my laptop (HP 15r Touchsmart) up to my TV via HDMI cable to watch certain movies I copied to my hard drive that I didn't watch that much but wanted to get rid of the DVD. Anyway I was watching some movies an after doing so I now notice a black border on the LCD screen. I swear it has never been there. I thought the screen image went full to edges.  But I can not for the life of me find a setting that changes it.  I went online and looked at other's pictures of their 15r and the screen images covers the whole screen. Mine has a black border.

hp15r.jpg

Here is a picture I found online of another 15r and notice that the images scales the whole screen. No border. But I do notice that it has windows 8 on it yet and I upgraded mine to windows 10.

hp 15r - other.jpg

Does anyone else have this on theirs too? Am I just crazy and never noticed the black border till now?  I know that there have been windows updates in the last month or so, but don't remember when and I just noticed this now.

Any help would be appreciated! Feel like I'm loosing my mind 😉

Mel

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Mizmelzy

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about having a border around your desktop and wanted to help.

Hey, I do this all the time -- watch movies off my laptop through an HDMI cable to the PC, so I know how great that can be!

But ... I've never had this happen to me, and I'm using an HP laptop running Win10, too.

Sorry, but the forum is having problems and the images you posted are not displaying, so I have to guess at what your problem looks like.

I'm hoping this is a simple fix -- that by opening Personalize on your desktop, and clicking Desktop Background, you get another window and down near the bottom, where it says Picture Position, you need it to say Fill. If it says Center, that's your problem.  Instead of Fill, you might have to select Stretch.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I did check it, and it does say fill.  So that's odd.

Here is the picture that I posted before:

hp15r.jpg

Nothing that I do and no setting I change gets rid of it.

Mel

HP Recommended

Here is a picture I found online of another hp15r laptop and as you can see the only differences are NO black border around the screen, and it has windows 8 on it.

hp 15r - other.jpg

So really confused. I sent a tweet to HP support.  And so far they are sending me to check my windows updates for problems.

Mel

HP Recommended

Does anyone have the HP 15R137 Purple HP laptop 500gig HD intel iCore3 procssor 6gb of ram?

I've tried numerous problem solving tips and nothing is getting rid of that border. There's not even any light being emitted from it.

Does anyone have this specific computer that can show me it's not supposed to be there.  HP wants me to do a system restore on this thing. I do not want to do that just to find out it's appart of the design. I'd be very PO'd to find that out.

Border on bottom is aprox:  8mm.  left Border 5mm, Right Border is 5mm, and top border is 3mm.  This is the black border on my screen not the black plastic casing around the lcd screen.

Need some help here, can anyone help!?

Mel

HP Recommended

I checked on ebay to see if someone was selling theirs.  Saw a picture and the same border is in the picture of theirs too. So apparently it's appart of the design!

Pretty sad that even HP support that I spoke to had me try all these steps to fix it, and then wanted me to do a system restore!  They couldn't tell me viewable screen size either. I think they need to better equip their tech support with basic information like that. Had I done a system restore and found that it was appart of the design, I would have been even more mad.

Mel

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.