Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SamanthaP Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Blinking cursor on the top left corner

Pro Windows 8
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

Hello, yesterday my Pro Windows 8 laptop had updated and now I am having trouble turning it back on.

When I turn it on it gives me the option to press the ESC button which leads me to a Startup Menu that allows me to press F1, F2, F9, F10 and F11. After that, it goes to a black screen with a white blinking cursor in the top left corner. 

I've tried taking the battery out and holding the power button and I've also put in a "Application and Driver Recovery DVD" not really sure what else to do. 

Any answers? Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Associate Professor Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1153 69 135
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SamanthaP wrote:

Hello, yesterday my Pro Windows 8 laptop had updated and now I am having trouble turning it back on.

When I turn it on it gives me the option to press the ESC button which leads me to a Startup Menu that allows me to press F1, F2, F9, F10 and F11. After that, it goes to a black screen with a white blinking cursor in the top left corner. 

I've tried taking the battery out and holding the power button and I've also put in a "Application and Driver Recovery DVD" not really sure what else to do. 

Any answers? Thank you.

Hi,

Youre on the right track. You just need to follow the "Proper hard reset"

Take the charger and the battery out

Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds

Plug the charger back in (without the battery)

Turn the computer back on

Update the bios version of your computer

Cheers!

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

0 Kudos
SamanthaP Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey! I have tried that I did it for 15 and 30 seconds then even a minute and unfortunately it keeps going to the same screen.

0 Kudos
Associate Professor Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1153 69 135
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

If thats the case try loading the Bios defaults

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07110

Press the F5 function key.
Select Yes or OK.
Press the Enter key.
Press the F10 function key.
Select Yes or OK to save the defaults.
You can also complete the following

steps to reload the factory BIOS

settings using the menu:
In the BIOS Setup utility, select

the Exit tab.
Select Load Setup Defaults.
The system prompts you to load the

optimized setup defaults. Select Yes

or OK and press the Enter key.
Select Exit Saving Changes.
Press Esc and then press Enter to

exit Setup.

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation