cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mordylty
Level 1
10 8 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Blue Screen Error After Update - Stop Code: FAT FILE SYSTEM

HP Recommended
Pavillion - Model: 13-A010DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
  1. We went from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, months ago (when we kept getting the pop-up to get the "free" upgrade").
  2. Yesterday, while Windows was updating, it would not return to the home screen, but instead, kept cycling on and off with the same window coming on: Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you. Stop Code: FAT FILE SYSTEM...
  3. Can't get past it,  other than to the Bios. 
  4. Made a Windows 10 USB Flash Drive to try to repair.  changed the boot order to accomodate, but once it starts to install, the cycle immediately starts again.
  5. Can't find ANYTHING on the internet to help.  The drive seems to work, since I had to take it out and use an SATA/IDE to USB cord to pull data off it, so I was able to see the drive on another computer.
  6. Need help as to what to do and how to get past it.  Whatever you suggest, I can bet I tried it.  Just want to format the drive using the Windows 10 USB and get rid of everything to start anew, but it won't get past that window. 

This is my daughter's computer and she really needs it.  If anyone can help with this, please help. Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
diamante
Level 4
78 63 8 5
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you can see the drive on a different computer, the first thing to do is use that computer to back up any files on the drive that you don't want to lose--and I'm guessing you have already done this--in case the drive is in its death throes. You could also use the second computer to check the file system on the hard drive, and possibly repair it, although if Windows won't boot it does not sound good (right-click on the drive in file explorer, then do properties, tools, error checking). If the drive is not going bad, it may just a case of file corruption, and you can try repairing your setup or restoring the computer to its out-of-the-box state. Did you burn recovery DVDs for the computer? If not, you may want to order some from HP.

When the computer first starts to boot up, hit the esc key. Sometimes it's a little tricky, and you may have to try this a few times before you get into options such as the setup utility aka BIOS. You may see other repair options there as well that you can try.

Documentation for this model is here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-13-x360-Convertible-PC-series/6936239/model/7241884/...

Good luck!

0 Kudos
diamante
Level 4
78 63 8 5
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
0 Kudos
Mordylty
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 1
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, some things that I learned from this experience...

1. There was and is nothing wrong with the drive.  I did manage to get all important pictures and other data off the drive, via a SATA/IDE to USB cable, thank God!
  2. This issues, started with the Anniversary update Windows 10 released.  I am 100% sure of this.
  3. The problem started when Windows 10 updated it's self, which originally started the problem, which occurred about a week ago.
  4. I managed to get through to to getting the laptop to boot using the USB.  Once I could do that, I performed a CLEAN install of Windows 10.  Immediately went to HP to get all the necessary driver's and updated each one.
  5. Once Windows updated, the problem started again, the cycling of Windows Repair Cycle.  This, I noticed was after a few hours of using the computer and restarting several times, which I'm assuming too, is when it installed the latest updates to Windows 10.
  6. Now, I am once again reinstalling Windows 10 clean install again, this, after it did the same thing it originally did, but here is another issues, all of a sudden getting an error code when I do the clean install and after deleting all the drives but one. It's a 0x80070057 error.  So now I can't even install Windows 10 again...

The one thing, I wish I would have never done, was upgrade to Windows 10, but like I said, it's my daughter's computer and she kept getting the CONSTANT update reminder to this "FREE" OS...  Had we never did this, the computer would not be sitting here useless.

Something isn't right with Windows 10 and this laptop.  Even if HP offered a disk to reinstall to Factory Default files, we wold be happy.  Other than that, Welcoming ANY ideas, PLEASE, otherwise this laptop is a lost cause. 

0 Kudos
diamante
Level 4
78 63 8 5
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This does sound like a hardware problem... I would try a factory restore at this point. I hope you find the answer, and don't leave us in too much suspense! :Wink:

0 Kudos
Mordylty
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 1
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would love to do that, but I don't beleive the factory default is on the hard drive. I tried everything, just sitting here looking at a laptop I can't use.  Have tried repeatedly to put a clean install of Windows 10 on there, but running in to the Error Code above.

If HP can direct me on how I can get the original OS and it's drivers on DVD/CD, please direct me.

0 Kudos
diamante
Level 4
78 63 8 5
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
0 Kudos
VoiceOfReason
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I had the same problem a few hours prior to me posting this reply. I managed to solve it by entering hp recovery options (pressing esc then f11 on boot) launching command prompt and entering chkdsk [local drive letter] :/f/r/x ( for me it was chkdsk D:/f/r/x)
I ran the command and it deleted several bad/corrupted records. I then stopped the process prematurely and restarted the computer. (this is a very slow process was at 2% in stage 1 of 5 when I quit)

I only wanted enough repair to be done so I could escape the boot loop and launch windows 10 automatic repair which did the job in under an hour.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation