Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
MilanBuma Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bluetooth stopped working after Windows 10 upgrade

ProBook 4720s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have a ProBook 4720s, and after I upgraded to Windows 10, my bluetooth stopped working. I have checked in Device Manager, and there are no bluetooth devices anymore. There aren't any unknown devices either.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Provost Provost
Provost
103223 93775 14401 22126
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you had the HP Wireless Assistant or Connection Manager software installed, most likely the bluetooth was turned off at the time you upgraded, and now you can't turn it back on unless you revert to Windows 7, turn the bluetooth on, uninstall the HP wireless assistant or connection manager software, restart the PC, verify the BT is on and then upgrade back to W10.

I do not believe the wireless assistant or connection manager software will install on W10, but I guess you can try that first.

0 Kudos
MilanBuma Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Wireless Assistant couldn't install, but Connection Manager can, though when I run it it gives me "HP Connection Manager not installed. Application will exit.".  I don't want to return to Windows 7, because I have a lot of files on this laptop.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
103223 93775 14401 22126
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You'll have to live without the built in bluetooth then.

When I reverted back to W7, it automatically moved all my programs and files back to W7.

You can only do that within 30 days of upgrading though.

0 Kudos
MilanBuma Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's too bad then, thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
103223 93775 14401 22126
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, that is the only way to get the bluetooth to work.

It's good that your wireless card wasn't turned off by that software, or you would have no wireless either.

0 Kudos
MilanBuma Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm sorry to bother you again, but something happened. Yesterday I got a notification that there was a problem with my bluetooth, so I checked device manager and saw that there was a generic bluetooth adapter. I installed my bluetooth driver, and it asked me if I wanted to reboot, and I clicked yes. The problem is, it disappeared from my device manager again. Is there a different solution?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
103223 93775 14401 22126
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook has the HP bluetooth module, and there is no W10 driver you can install for it.

W10 will automatically install a BT driver.

If the thing disappeared again from the device manager, unfortunately, there is nothing you can do that I know of to get it back, other than what was discussed the other day.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation