Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
RickM1957 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot up error "Primary (Internal) Battery (601)"

I replaced the internal battery with a new CR2032 battery and I still get this error. How do I fix this? I have a HP G71-447US Notebook, just 2 years old!

0 Kudos
32 REPLIES
I-Me-Myself Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 2 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Primary (Internal) Battery (601)", is the problem with the cmos battery on the system board, contact the manufacturer for the geniune part or get it replaced with them, u can check with stores on this

0 Kudos
RickM1957 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, understood. That is the one I replaced. Thanks..

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
49213 9751 16606
Message 4 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is a slightly misleading error as it does in fact refer to your notebooks main battery, not the cmos cell.

To confirm that this is the case, try the following.

Download and run the stand-alone battery test utility available on the page below and see if this reports any problems with your battery.

http://h20239.www2.hp.com/techcenter/battery/battery_ts.htm

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
517 21 75
Message 5 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DavidPK is right.  The primary (internal) battery is the one that powers the notebook when it is not plugged in.  The reason it is call an internal battery is to distinguish it from the extended batterys that you can purchase with some models that attaches to the outside of the laptop.

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
RickM1957 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 6 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, very misleading. The test shows it needs to be repalced. I would think it would have lasted more than 2 years. I have other laptops that I have had for 5 years now, battery is still good. I guess I will look for another.

0 Kudos
codeFiend Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 7 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Just curious if it's bad for my laptop to keep using it while it's plugged in? I just ordered a new battery but I didn't cause any damage. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you!

codeFiend,

0 Kudos
ComputerBug Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 8 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is a Lithium-Ion battery, which are used a lot on most mobile devices these days. They provide high power for long and surges, whuch digital devices need.

The disadvantage with this technology is they have a limited life, usualy 2-3 years. Even if Litium-Ion Batteries are not used, they have a ticking shelf life.

They are ideal for mobile phone technology, as most phone contracts/phone life is usualy 2 years.

Just replace it, they are not expensive.

0 Kudos
mghyath Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 9 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank you man
0 Kudos
blaklik Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 10 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am getting the same error.  So as suggested I used the HP Support Assistant to run the battery check and it says my battery is "Good." What could be the problem?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation