Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 5 (9,978 Views)

CD/DVD Error Code 10 Device cannot start

Tried to roll back the drivers, also tried uninstalling the drivers, need correct drivers for the device HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM GSA-T20L ATA DEVICE, shows that correct drivers are installed if I search windows for the correct driverAlso tried system restore to earlier restore point before the windows update but to no avail.  The device will not read a DVD or a CD. Any help or assistance will be greatly appreciatedThanks in advance
0 Kudos
PhD Student
Message 2 of 5 (9,964 Views)

Re: CD/DVD Error Code 10 Device cannot start

[ Edited ]

Hi walksinstars,

Follow the steps in this document, particulary step 3:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00817052

While it is published for desktops, it works on notebooks as well, and is not unique to HP. This is most common when another application with CD burning features is installed on the PC.

"If error code 10 , 19 , 31 , 32 , 39 or 41 is shown inside Device Status, a problem exists with the integration of previous CD burning software. Use Step 3 to remove associated control filters from the registry. "
I am an HP employee

-Bryan
Student
Message 3 of 5 (4,134 Views)

installed windows 8 release preview-- lost my vista home premium-- and do not have a cd to reinstall the vista. I only have the product key from the back of my laptop. And now cd/dvd shows -- this device cannot start. (code 10).

Student
Message 4 of 5 (2,510 Views)

Can any one tell me how to fix my CD/DVD ROM drive. WINDOWS can not see the drive, comes up with error code 19. I have a HP Pavillion g6 notebook.

Provost
Message 5 of 5 (2,504 Views)

Hi Gary,

Try following the procedure under the sub-heading 'Let me fix it myself' on the link below to remove the Upper and Lower filters and see if this helps the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation