cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot detect 2nd monitor

I have an HP G56 laptop running Windows 7. I have run this laptop using the laptop screen and an attached digital monitor connected through the 15-pin port on the left side on the laptop. I can no longer get the 2nd monitor to work with this system. When I go to control panel --> Display --> Connect to an external display, the screen shows only one monitor (the laptop screen) available. If I hit the 'Detect' button on that page, nothing happens. In the past, both monitors have shown up on this screen.

Is there a hardware or software swtich that control the video port? Is there someway to test this port?

Jim A.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 6
386 386 29 134
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi jjanderson5,

When you restart your notebook, do both screens work during the bootup process (for example, on the windows XP loading bar screen, do you see this on both screens)? This would be the easiest/quickest way to see if it is hardware or software.

You can also try Fn + F1 from within windows to see if that will toggle the external VGA port.

Hope this helps :generic:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I boot the laptop, the 2nd montitor is blank.

Jim A.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
386 386 29 134
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does Device Manager detect the external monitor?

Windows XP (Right Click My Computer, Choose Properties, Click the Hardware Tab, Click Device Manager).

Vista/Win7(Right Click My Computer, Choose Properties, Click Device manager in the upper left part of the screen)

Should show up under Displays.

Did you also try to toggle in windows (Fn + F1)?

If neither of the above work, one of the two following tests will determine which hardware component has failed:

1. Try the monitor on another computer to ensure that the monitor is functional?

2. Try another monitor on the VGA port of your notebook?

Edit: If the VGA cord from your monitor to your computer is detachable, you could also try a different cable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I bring up Device Manager, it does not show any monitors or displays. What it does show is 'Display Adaptors'. Under 'Display Adapters' there are two items, both of which are labelled 'Mobil Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family'. I do not see any devices listed at 'monitor' or 'display'.

I tried toggling each of the function keys (f1 through f12) while holding down 'fn', but that did not help.

I have tried the monitor with my own laptop (the problem is with my wife's HP laptop) and the extra monitor works as expected, so I know the monitor and the  VGA cable work fine.

Also, I have another monitor that I use with my own laptop and when it is attached to the HP laptop, it too does not work.

Jim A.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
386 386 29 134
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi jjanderson5,

Sounds like the VGA port on your wife's notebook has failed.

- You are working with known-good hardware (two different external monitors and cables)

- You have verified that the monitor is not detected by the computer (Device Manager)

- You have tried the toggle keys with no change in behavior.

Depending on the model/version of notebook, it may have an s-video port, or a DVI port that you could use as an alternative.

Hope this helps :generic:

I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Although it is not good news, thank you for the help.

Jim A.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation