Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
35 31 1 4
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot enter BIOS settings or reboot after BIOS update with Samsung 950 PRO in ZBook Studio

ZBook Studio G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD (512 GB) connected next to the original 512 GB SSD (Samsung MZVPV512HDGL-000H1).

When I have the 950 PRO in the Studio I cannot enter BIOS settings. The Studio just stops (hangs) if I try.

When I have the drive in the Studio and upgrade BIOS the Studio stops (hangs) during reboot.

I have to open the Studio and remove the SSD to be able to perform these two tasks. Then I can insert it again.

Otherwise the SSD is working nicely in Windows...

This is the strangest thing that I have encountered for years! Anyone else have encountered this? Any workaround?

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
PhD Student PhD Student
PhD Student
539 529 27 218
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot enter BIOS settings or reboot after BIOS update with Samsung 950 PRO in ZBook Studio

Can you try pressing ESC at boot to bring up the boot menu and then seeing if you can get into "F10 Setup"?

I am an HP Employee
NPI Manager - Z VR / Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
35 31 1 4
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@iMaxx wrote:

Can you try pressing ESC at boot to bring up the boot menu and then seeing if you can get into "F10 Setup"?

When I try, the computer stops and continues to forever display the black screen with the round blue hp-logo, bios version and info to press ESC to enter menu. This time I waited 20 minutes without anything more happening. Nothing I do changes this.

If I shutdown the computer and start it again it stops like that again. (Without me pressing ESC.)

To recover from this I have to open the computer and remove the 950 PRO. Then I can start it up again (and then it shows the menu I tried to enter - this time without me pressing ESC). And when i shut it down and insert the 950 PRO again it starts just fine and I can access it from within Windows.

0 Kudos
Tomokatsu Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

I got same ploblem.

when zbook studio power ON after that HP logo come only screen....

I think that I guess  mistaked formart  950PRO.

But I have no idea.How to correct formart 950PRO.

Because  ZBOOK studio have stop again when i install 950PRO in my note PC.

Do you have idea?

thanks

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
35 31 1 4
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Tomokatsu wrote:

Hello

I got same ploblem.

when zbook studio power ON after that HP logo come only screen....

I think that I guess  mistaked formart  950PRO.

But I have no idea.How to correct formart 950PRO.

Because  ZBOOK studio have stop again when i install 950PRO in my note PC.

Do you have idea?

thanks

I'm not really sure you have the same problem. I have no problem with a normal boot (into Windows) and using the drive there. It's only entering BIOS menus and BIOS updates that I cannot perform with the drive.

Dawton Tutor
Tutor
5 5 0 4
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with ZBook Studio G3 and Samsung 950 PRO 512 GB.

The latest firmware 01.15 is installed in the laptop.

I conected the new SSD (unformatted yet) and turned on the laptop. Then it took quite a long time before the system started to boot (from the original SSD) but ok, it booted to Windows 10 successfuly. I did not do anything else with the new SSD in Windows, it was still unformatted.

Then I inserted the Win 10 installation USB stick and restarted the laptop to start the installation from USB. When the first installation phase is completed, a restart is required. And then the laptop hangs in the initial black screen with the HP logo and BIOS version forever, can not even enter the BIOS.

Then I found a solution here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Zbook-17-G3-upgrade-samsung-95...

The problem is that Win 10 installer formatted the new empty SSD to GPT type (the original SSD SanDisk is MBR)

I had a chance to connect my Samsung SSD into another PC where I was able to format it and change to MBR and then it finally boots and it's performance is really very fast.

However, when the laptop is turned on (or restarted) it takes cca 30 seconds before the system starts booting (and the fans start spinning quite quickly during the initial 30 seconds)

The Samsung SSD is now used as a secondary (not boot) disk. I'll try to install Windows 10 on it later.

I also installed the latest Samsung driver but this does not help.

I also installed the Samsung Magician tool to check the disk, it shows that the latest disk firmware is installed and there are no compatibility issues! :-)

I asked the Czech HP Support for hints and then only provided the following brief list of officialy supported discs:

1-TB, PCIe-3x4, NVMe
848238-001

512-GB, SATA-3, self-encrypting drive (SED), OPAL 2, TLC
848240-001

512-GB, Z Turbo drive, PCIe
848236-001

256-GB, SATA-3, self-encrypting drive (SED), OPAL 2
848237-001

256-GB, Z Turbo drive, PCIe
848235-001

Tomokatsu Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank you for reply

uhh..

I think too my ploblem is diffarent to you.

0 Kudos
Tomokatsu Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank you fo reply

I will try to setting  'Legacy Support Enabled and Secure Boot Disabled'

a)After that i will install win10 in M2 950PRO.

b)put in 2nd

c)try to format M2 950PRO.

maybe i will get result in this week end.

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Dawton Tutor
Tutor
5 5 0 4
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

'Legacy Support Enabled and Secure Boot Disabled' was my default BIOS setting. But even with it the Windows 10 installer formatted the new empty disk as GPT by default (without asking me if i want MBR or GPT) and since that the laptop stucks in the initial black screen with the HP logo.

I tried all installation combinations of both my SSDs (i.e. both M.2 connectors, Samsung together with the original SanDisk and only the Samsung) but always with the same bad result - stuck. The only working solution was changing the Samsung format from GPT to MBR and this had to be done in another PC which "accepted" the Samsung SSD with the GPT format. Then the ZBook Studio can work with the Samsung again.

Then I was able to install the Windows 10 on the Samsung successfuly. During the installation process I selected the already formatted MBR partition (on the Samsung SSD) and just pressed "Next" so the Windows installer does not format it again.

I'm still wondering:

- what is the system doing during the first 30 seconds?

- why the fans start cooling intensively during the first 30 seconds?

- if the system can work with the SSD properly if it needs so much time to proceed with the initial phase?

Could it be solved with a BIOS fix?

Can anyone from HP answer these questions? Thank you!

Intern
Intern
35 31 1 4
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Really interesting. I have my 950 PRO as a secondary drive and boot from the Samsung MZVP512 that was in the machine from start. Both these drives are GPT drives and I have no problem booting into Windows... (But cannot enter BIOS menus.)

The 950 PRO has one large primary partition + some extra non allocated space.

I'm not really sure that I want to change from GPT to MBR just to try if I can enter BIOS menus... And I do not want to wait an extra 60s to boot each time...

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation