Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
AjayK47 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Compaq Presario CQ57 still slow after upgrade

Presario CQ57
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was recently given a Compaq Presario CQ57 (300 Series)  by a friend running Windows 10 64 Bit.  

Processor - AMD E-300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.30 GHz

It was running very slow so I upgraded the Hard Drive to an SSD and increased the RAM to 8GB. I then did a clean install of WIN 10 64 bit.

While this has improved the speed a little bit it is nowhere near as fast as I would have expected. 

The only software I am running at the moment is McAfee Anti-Virus and Firewall.

Does anyone have any suggestions that could still be making it very sluggish. I gather that it is not possible to upgrade the processor.

Thank you

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 178 334
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@AjayK47,

Thank you for choosing HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Slow performance of the PC. Is that right?

Thank you for sharing the issue details. I would like to help you.

I recommend you try the steps from the below link and check if that fixes the issue.

http://hp.care/2bFDPcU

Hope this helps. Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
AjayK47 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Resolv_S wrote:

Hi@AjayK47,

Thank you for choosing HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Slow performance of the PC. Is that right?

Thank you for sharing the issue details. I would like to help you.

I recommend you try the steps from the below link and check if that fixes the issue.

http://hp.care/2bFDPcU

Hope this helps. Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you for this information but I'm afraid none of the suggestions have helped. Having installed an SSD and increased the RAM to the maximum of 8GB I am very puzzled. Could it be that there is something wrong with the processor or motherboard?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37037 5586 9626
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Depends on how you define "wrong". The ugly fact is that manufacturers should never have offered laptops with such lame processors as yours. An SSD and memory can only help so much as everything the computer does has to go through the processor ultimately. On most computers with decent processors the memory and storage are the bottleneck but for you it is that processor which is slower than some tablet and cell phone processors now on the market. 

Some benchmarks:

PassMarkData courtesy Passmark

Core i3 3220

E 300

An i3-3220 scores 7 times as high on a standard benchmarking measure as an E-300.
0 Kudos
AjayK47 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

Depends on how you define "wrong". The ugly fact is that manufacturers should never have offered laptops with such lame processors as yours. An SSD and memory can only help so much as everything the computer does has to go through the processor ultimately. On most computers with decent processors the memory and storage are the bottleneck but for you it is that processor which is slower than some tablet and cell phone processors now on the market. 

Some benchmarks:

PassMarkData courtesy Passmark

Core i3 3220

E 300

An i3-3220 scores 7 times as high on a standard benchmarking measure as an E-300.

Can the processor or motherboard be upgraded to something better. I appreciate this might be as expensive as a new notebook but would be interested to know from an educational perspective.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37037 5586 9626
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You would have to replace the motherboard as the AMD E series are soldered on I believe. Actually for that vintage computer a motherboard would not be very expensive nor a processor. It would be the labor that would cost. 

If you want to try to do it yourself we can help. 

AjayK47 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

You would have to replace the motherboard as the AMD E series are soldered on I believe. Actually for that vintage computer a motherboard would not be very expensive nor a processor. It would be the labor that would cost. 

I would certainly be interested in giving this a go and would appreciate your help. What would be a good compatible Motherboard with processor that I could upgrade too? I gather that the graphics are also integral to the processor.

0 Kudos
AjayK47 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@AjayK47 wrote:

@Huffer wrote:

I would certainly be interested in giving this a go and would appreciate your help. What would be a good compatible Motherboard with processor that I could upgrade too? I gather that the graphics are also integral to the processor.

I have found a video on Youtube showing how to remove the Motherboard and would like to give it a go as an educational experience.

What Motherboard / Processor could I replace it with to get a much better performance? Any help much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37037 5586 9626
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

The CQ57 series was designed to be sold at a very low price point. It has no option for a good processor. All the options for this model are very low-priced, weak processors. It was very popular as a Black Friday doorbuster for example. Of the motherboard and processor combinations offered (see p. 18) the "best" would be this one:

For use only with computer models equipped with an Intel Pentium processor and a graphics subsystem with discrete video memory 646176-001

And this processor:

Intel Pentium P6300 2.26-GHz processor (3.0-MB L3 cache, dual core, 35 W) 635500-001

And this fan and heatsink:

For use only with computer models equipped with an Intel Pentium processor and a graphics subsystem with discrete video memory 646180-001

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-CQ43-HD6370-512-HM55-Intel-Laptop-Motherboard-s989-646176-001-646176001-/...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pentium-P6200-2-13-GHz-Dual-Core-CP80617004122AW-Processor-/2915564690...

[The P6300 is very hard to find but the P6200 is readily available and would still be good and it is cheap]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/646180-001-647710-001-HP-HEATSINK-WITH-FAN-FOR-DISCRETE-GRAPHICS-/1722139834...

You are looking at about $70 worth of parts here. You might also need to replace the wireless card, which would be another $5 or so. Memory will swap over. This would mean a virtual complete rebuild of the laptop but it could be done and would be a big improvement but you would still have a very low end laptop by today's standards, just not a completely useless one. Let us know if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation