cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Adi55
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Creating Recovery Disks from Partition on another OS

HP Notebook-15-r205ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

HP Notebook - 15-r205ne (ENERGY STAR)

My laptop came with windows 8.1 64Bits pre-installed, but later I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 (64 Bits) over it, without making any recovery disks. Now I want to switch back to windows 8.1 , I still have the D Partition containing recovery files, but going to F11 doesn't help me.

Any suggessions on how can I make recovery disks from the D partition within windows 10 and then use those disks to install the original OS back?

Thanks in Advance!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Level 9
1,373 1,351 114 380
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you did an upgrade or custom install to Windows 10 and not a 'clean' install within the last 30 days it's easy to go back to Windows 8.1

Revert from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1

Otherwise you will need to purchase recovery media from HP.

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

Adi55
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I deleted the c drive and installed windows 10 on it but  did not delete the recovery drive D.

Recovery drive D still have all recovery files, can i use this drive to go back to factory default OS.

Thanks in Anticipation

0 Kudos
Level 9
1,373 1,351 114 380
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can try going to Disk Management and setting the Recovery Partition to 'Active'.

If you have the F11 option on reboot, use it to recover.

If the F11 option is not available try the 'ESC' key to bring up the Startup Menu and see if the Recovery Partition is listed.

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

Adi55
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I cannot make Recovery Drive Make as a 'Active'.

Untitled.png

whenever i right click on the recovery drive to make 'Active' .

It do nothing except 'Help' above seen in the Screenshot.

Also i tried Esc and F11, both cannot work.

0 Kudos
Adi55
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

when i press 'ESC' key from Startup Menu. It show 'System Recovery' option but cannot work.

0 Kudos
Adi55
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is Screenshot of my 'Recovery Drive D'

RECOVERY ( D ) -->Recovery-->WindowsRE

1.PNG

1.PNG

Screenshot of 'Recovery Drive D ' with Unhidden Protected System files.

3.PNG

0 Kudos
Level 9
1,373 1,351 114 380
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your screen shots show that you have a UEFI BIOS and GPT partitions. UEFI with GPT partitions don't use Active partitions. So you cannot set your recovery partition to Active.

It appears that your only remaining choice will be to purchase recovery media.  :Crying:

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation