cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
sara357
Level 1
1 0 0 3
Message 1 of 37
Flag Post

Cursor jumping around on its own

HP Recommended

I have an HP ENVY m6 -n012dx with Windows 8.1. My cursor jumps around erractically from time to time - even when I'm not typing or not touching anything it will still move arround on its own, and doesn't respond to the track pad. I've tried changing the sensitivity settings but it doesn't make a difference. Sometimes it works fine, but other times it will just do this. Even if I'm watching a video and haven't touched the screen in a while it will start jumping around for several minutes on its own. When it does this I can't use the track pad properly at all.

36 REPLIES 36
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,372 959 2,183
Message 2 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Sara357,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your and the Touchpad sensitivies. Did this just start to happen? Did you do an update and then this started? Did you install any new software or hardware?

Here is a document on an update download for Windows 8.1 that might help. It is a recommended update for Touchpad issues.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
micoverde
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue as described by Sara357. I have Windows 8.1 64 bit also.

This laptop is new to me and I just started using it in the last week. I can't remember encountering this issue in its first few days, but since a Windows update and it has plagued me. The only way I can effectively use the cursor is by touching the screen, which is not optimal in the way I need to work with this laptop. It looks like this has been a recurring issue on HP laptops for several years, yet no one has posted a solution that seems to work.

I downloaded the link that Mrstenter provided, and didn't see a change. 

0 Kudos
BKoffer
1 1 0 1
Message 4 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a new Envy 360 with exactly the same issue. I have not changed anything from out of the box other than to run windows updates. I booted up into a Linux distro off of a memory key and did not see the issue, thus eliminating this being a hardware issue. I also booted into the diagnostics to test the mouse operation and did not see any problems while in there.

I've noticed that the issue seems to become present after the system resumes from standby or hibernate. If you touch and hold the touchpad, the jumping stops, but as soon as you let go, it resumes.  I have checked that the most recent drivers are installed (Synaptics 18.1.7.6), but I do see that there are 2 listings in Device Manager for HID-copmliant Mouse if that means anything. 

I did notice when looking up the updates that installed that in update referrenced here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2975719) there are updates to the touchpad. Any thoughts support?

micoverde
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I uninstalled the touchpad driver, then reinstalled it. At first this seemed to kill the touchpad entirely, even after a few restarts, but after a good night's sleep the touchpad worked again and I haven't encountered the jumping cursor issue again since then. I suspect the windows update triggered the cursor problem, though that's not proven.
0 Kudos
JuanDavid
2 2 0 1
Message 6 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is a simple solution that helped me:

Open Control Panel > Mouse > Pointer Options. Uncheck Hide pointer while typing and see if it makes the problem go away.

Addio
Level 1
1 1 0 6
Message 7 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an HP Envy TS 17 notebook and the same issue just started occurring. It got to a point where I was struggling to even use the machine due to the cursor jumping so much. I was able to resolve the issue by disabling the touchscreen. I'm not sure if your system has the touchscreen or not but if it does then give it a try. You disable the touchscreen by going to device manager and selecting "human interface devices" and "tocuhscreen". I recognize that this is a work around and reduces the functionality of the machine but I found the touchscreen to be more of a hassle than a benefit. After the various issues I have experienced with my HP it will be my last one. I have a 4 year old Dell and it is a much more stable and well built machine than this "higher end" HP.

Good luck. 

Redman-Steen
1 1 0 1
Message 8 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your solution to disable the touchscreen worked perfectly.  (My cursor had been jumping around so badly, opening programs and moving stuff around that I thought I'd been hacked!)

SetFreeByTruth
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So far, so good.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
compositor
4 4 0 0
Message 10 of 37
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same problem with my HP envy 15 Win 8.1:

Cursor randomly starts jumping around the screen. It's an intermittant problem : I can sometimes go 4 hrs without it happening. When it starts it get progressively worse untill it's impossible to work. Restarting a few times usually makes the problem go away for a while. Happens with or without a USB mouse plugged in. This probalem has always been present since I got the laptop a few month ago.

I've read count less forum discussions and tried the following to no avail:

Fresh new  install of windows 8.1 with clean licensed cut downloaded from MS. (and yes I need to run 8.1, not 10)

Deep antivirus sweep with Norton, done from safe mode-start-up and regular. nothing found.

Updated all drivers and bios

Disabled Touchscreen

Disabled Touchpad

unplugged mouse

use different mouse

used wireless mouse

Turned off "incerse pointer sensitivity"

Turned off 'edge scrolling"

Turned on "use delay " (set to long)

Tried turning off just about everything in touchpad controls

...nothing seems to work. I am just about at my wits end with frustration.

Has anybody a fix for this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation