cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post

DM1Z Flickering Screen.

HP Recommended

My one week-old unit started to flicker on the upper part of the screen. I'm just using it to browse the Internet, no other programs running in the background. I already upgraded to ATI Catalyst 11.5a Hotfix but the issue remains. There's no electromagnetic  device near the unit to trigger the flickering....just the unit and adapter.... Please help....many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

same problem here.  It happend right after my Adobe upgrade promtp came up.  I upgraded, restarted and it's been "flickering" for 2 days now.  ?????

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
945 934 45 145
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, would you mind providing some more information please, this way it may help anyone who is on this forum to better understand your issue and perhaps assist you.

Sometimes when people are adding to a thread but they may not have the same Notebook as the original poster, so I would like to know if you both have dm1z-3000 units that you ordered from HP shopping online and that they are the “CTO” (Configure to order) ones where you get to pick from certain hardware and Software options?

If not, what do you have, the model number and Product number are what we would need then.

Since I’m not familiar with how technical you are I’ll explain how to get any information I ask for, I apologize if you already know how to get all this information.

Next can I please ask when you first noticed the flickering issue, was it when you first set it up, or did it start later?

I know one of you mentioned noticing it after upgrading Adobe.

Could you tell me was this Adobe Flash Player or another Adobe application, if so what?

For the other person was there anything you remember happening before you first saw the issue, like an update?

Can you both please tell me what version of Adobe Flash player you have?

There’s always 2 or 3 ways to do most things on a computer, one way to see this is to go to Control Panel >Programs >programs & Features >Uninstall a program (don’t worry we won’t be uninstalling it)
then if you click on Adobe Flash player so it’s highlighted you should be able to see the product version at the bottom of the window.

You can just close it out after writing down the version.

Next I would like to know your BIOS version, you can see this a number of places, if you are in windows you can try holding down the “fn” key and pressing the “esc” key, this can open a system Information window that should list the BIOS version and date, we don’t need that really long number after the date, if you see that.

You can also open HP Support Assistant, you’ll see when you first open it at the bottom of the window you can see your Product name, Serial number (please don’t post your serial number in an open forum like this) and your Product number; if you click on learn & More information on the right you’ll see you hardware specs and your Bios Version.

If your notebook is off you can power it on and tap the “f10 key” an it will take you into the BIOS, you can get the BIOS version from there too.

I’d also like to know if you can see the flickering issue while you are in the BIOS, or is it only when your in windows?

I’d like to know what Video/Graphics driver you have installed, the name and version please, and if you updated it where did you get the update from?
You can see this in several ways too, I like device Mgr, you can just type “device” (without the quotes) into start search field and then choose Device Manager from the list.

You can then look for the display adapters, you can click and it will open, that tells you the name of your Display Graphics device, please write that down, then if you double click that you will open a properties window and choose the driver tab to get the version and date of your driver. (

How often does it occur?

Does it happen all the time, or ca you do something that always makes it occur, if so what are the steps to duplicate it?

Does it make any difference if you move the display, does that affect the flickering?

Have you contacted support and gone through any troubleshooting, if so do you remember what your tried and the results?

I think that’s plenty to start with, most technical people on this forum would be able to help you further if you provided this information.

Thanks for your time and good luck.

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
945 934 45 145
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just checking the "email me when someone responds box"

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm not sure if anybody's still reading this thread, but I have the same problem. I bought a dm1z 3020 laptop about a week ago (ordered online, quick-ship model), and I have noticed flickering horizontal lines, mostly towards the upper portion of the display. Single lines flicker white for a fraction of a second intermittently. It seems confined to the same lines within a given session of flikering, though it does not always flicker.

The flickering doesn't seem to be related to running particular applications, and changing the angle of the screen doesn't appear to make a difference.

BIOS F.12 26-04-2011, in case that's relevant.

EDIT: It seems if I close all application windows and just view the desktop, the horizontal line a few pixels from the top of the screen flickers continuously. If I re-open an application window, the flickering becomes intermittent again.

EDIT2: And if I close all application windows and view the desktop, the continuously flickering line persists until I move the mouse over the line. The flickering ceases when the mouse is covering a portion of the flickering line, and resumes when I move the mouse away.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
945 934 45 145
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi thanks for all the good details, it helps a lot for you to perform and post such good troubleshooting.

would you please do two other things for me please?

1. boot into safe mode and see if it occurs there (tap the "f10" key after pushing the power button from a shutdown state)
2. boot into the BIOS and see f it occurs there (tap the "f8" key after pushing the power button from a shutdown state)

Did you get a HP Pavilion dm1-3020us, would you mind confirming the product number, you can see that in the BIOS too right below Notebook model.
Don't post the serial number, that is private and should not be posted in a public are like this.

Thank you and If you're in the US or Canada then I wish you a happy Canada day or 4th of July, and possibly a 3 day weekend :generic:

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bought a dm1-3020us. The product number is XY960UA#ABA.

The screen very rarely starts flickering. I've owned it about a week, and only three times has the screen started flickering. Twice a restart fixed it. Once merely closing my Firefox session seemed to fix it; at any rate, the last time it went away without a restart. All that to say, I don't see the flickering in the BIOS, but I wouldn't expect to since I haven't figured out what triggers it.

I'm no computer wiz, but the mouse-over point from the second "EDIT" on my previous post seems important. I dunno.

I've included some (rather poor) images. You can see the deviant line a couple pixels below the top of the screen. Note that in person the line is solid horizontally.

Pic01.jpg

Pic02.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem - this is the Dm1z-3100 bought in Denmark

The flickering lines started today just after I installed the latest catalyst driver from ATI - I have had no flickering issues before.

It is not constant, but it mostly happens when I'm displaying a white page - like list of websites in google, or this support page.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
945 934 45 145
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do either of you see the issue when the unit is in safe mode?

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have just tried it half an hour this morning - and it seems not. Currently in safe mode and has not seen any flickering lines.

Yesterday I tried for the first time to connect to my TV through HDMI - and used the ATI CCC for this - and the primary screen went crazy with flickering lines and boxes. The TV was showing no problems.

A restart solved the issue.

This gives me the feeling that it might be a driver problem.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation