Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

turn laptop upside down, take away the rubber caps, screw back in place... fixed. ((at least an hp envy 17 (i've had exact the same problem) under the caps where your laptop stands on i mean. (dont know for an spectre or other model, but the envy17, there are 2 screws loose., it is repairable with a very tiny screwdriver p1 i thought (p0 you need to if there is an piece of plactic blocking your fan. but the cracking of the bottom is caused by the hinch not screwed to the bottom cover, so if you screw it back in place it would fix your problems. (what works if the fan is not moving anymore and you get an anyoing f1 status because of thermal troubles), (yes i've had them too, first try to blow with force in the air exhaust for your fan, there is something blocking it then. if that not works you have to take of the bottom cover completly (20 min work), but fixing those screws?? 2 minutes and your done.

and if it worked your welcome, otherwise Good luck.

HP Recommended

@Pjs2: thank you for your hint, but this doesn't work for my SpectreXT since all screws are still in place, but the plastic holding the screws broke down.

If you want to take a closer look, you can follow the link in my prior post. There is a picture of the damage.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you get any help? Mine is also the envy 15 J series and the hinge seperated and its causing my cooling fan

to scream.

HELP

HP Recommended

I have noticed there are a lot of issues with the hinges breaking.  Unfortunately, the warranty to the computer ended in 11-2015 but from reading post after post, I am not sure that this broke due to the user it is more of an issue with the design.  The computer has never been dropped or anything.  Just opens and closed.  What can I do?  I have a HP 350 G1. 

Thank you.

HP Recommended
My laptop did the same thing!! The sound of plastic rumbling through and the left hinge and case gap of well over an inch.. I sent it in , they replaced the screen AND IT WAS SUB PAR at best! The color was milky and the HP tech couldnt even get it adjusted.
So I sent it back, ESTIMATED TIME FOR 2nd REPAIR IS 19 DAYS!! I will have been without my laptop for over a month with both repairs!! NOT ONE FLIPPIN REP IN THE UNITED STATES THAT SPEAKS ENGLISH WELL ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND, NOR ONE THAT HAS AUTHORITY TO DO ANYTHING BUT MAKE EXCUSES AND PLACATE YOU!!
HP iIS NO LONGER THE QUALITY COMPANY IT USE TO BE AND I HAVE BEEN HP ONLY FOR WELL OVER 10 YEARS!! NOT ANYMORE!!
SAMSUNG WILL BE MY CHOICE!! THEY HAVE EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE AND QUALITY PRODUCTS!!
STILL WAITING FOR CUSTOMER SEVICE TO CALL ME BACK!!!
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
HP Recommended
A rep from Hp contacted me, and he is taking care of my case and has been more then helpful. I will keep posting undates.
HP Recommended
I have been trying to get hp to contact me regarding my hinge issue. I have left over 20+ messages with the escalation team over a year and they seem not to care and when I did make contact initially they required $299 for the fix. I am a disabled Vet and could not afford that repair cost as I can buy a used unit for $250. I take very good care of this laptop and it is in mint condition with the exception of this broken hinge in which the fan constantly makes noise.
HP Recommended

Thank you so much Mikeamondo for all that you have put into this fight and for all of the helpful information you have given to the rest of us. I have an HP Envy 17 Leap Motion Laptop and as of last week the left hinge popped the bottom open, I heard something crack and got a message on my screen that the system fan was not working and the computer shut down and now I am back to using my 10 year old HP Pavilion desk top and vow never to buy another laptop as I have a couple of friends that have had hinge problems too. I have always used and prefer HP and I love my HP Envy and have always handled it with great care, never dropping it or being rough with it, but my laptop is out of warranty and I was glad to find your thread and I will be taking your advice to try and get something done with it as I am on a limited income and thought I wouldn't be able to afford to get it fixed. Now I have hope. Thank you :generic:

HP Recommended

Thanks for the kind words, puppykat!  Keep up the good fight and post your results back here!

One of these days we need to put a few calls in to ABC.

Take care and good luck!

M

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.