cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
reknaw
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Details about accelerometerdll.DLL (methods and structure)

HP Recommended

Hi,

My new dv8 has a built-in HP accelerometer that locks the hard drive in case of sudden movement etc. The driver for this includes a dll file called "accelerometerdll.DLL" found in Windows\system32. Now, I was wondering if I could play around with that and a google search provided a few interesting posts (see References below).

I know the names of the functions in the dll, see Ref.[1], and I know that it is possible to use them, see Ref [2], but I do not know the explicit structure of these functions, so I had no success in calling them myself.

Does anyone and especially any HP employees that might be reading this, have and ideas/hints/pointers of how I might proceed with this?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Cheers,

reknaw

References:

1) dll methods and structure:

http://www.hpminiguide.com/forum/hacks-mods/1053-how-use-gyroscope-hdd-other-tasks-2.html

2) Program that implements the dll (no source code):

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-touchsmart-tm2-wacom/34370-automatic-display-rotation-protectsmar...

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
reknaw
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bump :OpenSmile:

0 Kudos
HaggisCat
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,229
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a dv8 and I am running a SSD drive, so this does not really apply to me, but I found it interesting.

The problem that I am having is that HP 3D Drive Guard does not recognize the other standard hard drive in the secondary bay. I have HP working on this, but I am fairly sure because the primary hard drive is solid state the software will not see the second drive.

I would like to know what the practical purpose of having the desk top rotate automatically when the laptop is on its side or up-side-down.

Are you having a problem with the HP Drive Guard not recognizing your hard drives ? If this is so, reinstalling the drivers for your hard drive in the device manager may solve that problem.

0 Kudos
reknaw
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi HaggisCat,

Thanks for your reply! No I am not having any problem with the HP Drive Guard! I just want to access the functions in accelerometerdll.DLL in order to make my own programs (just for fun!!!).

In other words, I am just asking if there is any API, documentation or SDK for writing programs based on this accelerometer. Let me repeat that I just want to have some geeky fun!

Any pointers regarding an API, documentation or SDK for accelerometerdll.DLL are most welcome.

Cheers

PS As I said in my earlier post, there is some limited info regarding this dll (see the links) but still, it is not enough to go on 😞

0 Kudos
HaggisCat
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,229
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry I can't help you with creating new programs as most of my time with accelerometers on HP laptops are spent getting the HP 3D drive Guard software to work.

People do upgrades from Vista and W7 stops recognizing the software or the hard ware concerning the accelerometer.

In general HP software is not very good.

Yes, I did carefully read through those links in trying to figure out what you wanted exactly_thanks for clearing that up.

Don't hold your breath here expecting some one else to come with more information, this is a user to user forum and most people do not have knowledge to modify or create new software and the ones that do, are very busy solving other peoples problems. No one here gets paid by HP, we all volunteer out free time to help out others.

Good luck with your project.  :generic:

0 Kudos
reknaw
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks again for your reply. I understand that most of the people here are just users, but there are some HP employees as well. Anyway, I was just hoping if someone might have some info about the structure of this dll (how to call the functions etc). I am thinking of sending an email to HP directly and see how that goes. 

Cheers

Edit: I forgot to mention how shocked I am by the lack of development tools for HP products (SDKs etc). Sometime ago I bought a webcam of a certain brand for my old laptop and I was suprised by the amount of extra development tools/documentation they had available for the users to make your own avatars etc! HP is disappointing in this aspect 😞

0 Kudos
n_h
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know if you're still looking for this functionality, but the guy who wrote the forum post you linked to with the screen rotator has since updated it with a version of the driver he wrote which you can download for free. See this page for more info. Basically, it wraps the sensor's API so that it can be shown to the Windows Sensors Platform API, which allows applications to access sensors in a standardized way.

0 Kudos
danny-r
Retired
Retired
8,250 7,081 144 478
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Post escalated.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation