cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
darksteel88
Level 1
13 6 0 1
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dim function keys not working

My backlight function keys don't always work. More often than not, they don't work, they simply do nothing. Moreover, if I try to manually change a setting in the power options, it doesn't change anything.

I contacted HP via the online chat support, but they were less than helpful. The chat support agent I talked to clearly didn't know what they were doing. They suggested I reinstall all the ACPI drivers, update BIOS and update my video card driver....My ACPI drivers are all reinstalled recently (and really only one of them should matter), the BIOS was updated a week ago and my video card drivers are up to date according to device manager.

The worst part of my experience is yet to come. The technician doubted my information and didn't want to trust that I knew what I was talking about, because they wanted me to open up things like msinfo32 and check my BIOS was up-to-date. Is it too much that I know something (I'm currently in a CS major so I know what I'm doing).

They finally suggested I reformat the laptop (I have an HP Envy 17). I don't want to reformat and I don't know what else exactly to do. This isn't the first time chat support has been unsatisfactory but I know the keys sometimes work, suggesting the keys aren't broken and the software isn't completely messed up either. I am sure I don't need to reformat so here I am asking for some help.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Level 9
2,817 2,815 115 662
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The online chat seems doing right by checking video driver, ACPI and BIOS.

If one of those components was not right, the brightness control (fn+f7/f8) will not function properly.

Since they dont know what you or other software have done, the easy way is to recommend you to do HP system recovery.

HP system Recovery with factory installed feature will determine either you have software or hardware issue easily. If the recovery dont help then 100% you have hardware issue.

My suggestion is to follow what HP support steps.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
0 Kudos
darksteel88
Level 1
13 6 0 1
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There are a number of other things you can do from there, which I had selected a few, and solved my issue myself.

Reformatting the laptop is the worst idea they have recommended to me yet. Everyone I have told about it laughed pretty hard because it's funny they would suggest it. I'm doing a computer science major so we all know about computers.

I did a quick google search for HP brightness function key not working or something like that. A quick search showed me some conflicting software, which I had on this laptop. I removed the software.

I also went to check the available drivers for the laptop, found one that deals with the function keys and reinstalled it.

After both steps were completed, I had fixed my issue and I don't get the error anymore.

Honestly, there were a number of steps they could have and should have tried before. The next chat support agent I talked to actually did recommend some better steps, such as reinstalling the driver or a system restore instead (which a system restore should ALWAYS be tried before a system recovery).

I am quite dissatisfied by the lack of technical knowledge from the HP Chat Support agents, considering it is not very technical for this and it's not hard to get it right. This isn't the first time their lack of technical knowledge has been unsatisfactory either, and I'm finding only 1/4 people actually know enough to properly help you out (though the 4th person could have been a little smarter on one thing in particular).

0 Kudos
buggie
Level 4
94 60 3 6
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

[text removed]Sorry, support can't assume that everyone is a CS major.  Besides, I find supporting someone who thinks they know computers is a lot more difficult than someone who simply cooperates and keeps their mouth shut.  The person on the other line probably resorted to suggesting a wipe simply to get you off the phone.

The kicker: it was your "conflicting software" that botched it. [text removed]

0 Kudos
darksteel88
Level 1
13 6 0 1
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't expect them to know I'm a CS major, but I expect them to understand that I will know things when I TELL THEM that I'm a CS major. I always use online chat support and quite frankly, it takes too long to get an answer and it's often unintelligent. The reason they probably said it IS because they wanted to not deal with me anymore. But it's not my fault they didn't want to deal with me, I'm only telling them that they're not providing me with good answers, and quite frankly, I expect them to realize that it's not a good answer.

Secondly, I know it's likely a conflict in my software, but HP should realize it (there are a number of complaints with the conflict I've seen), and they should have found a solution to it. Ideally, their software should have 0 conflicts so I shouldn't have to deal with this issue. They need to have alternatives, and people know this. The IDE we use for Python in school conflicts with Snow Leopard so the school came up with solutions to it.

Sure, I'll have to deal with people like me, but I welcome it. I'll be smart enough not to suggest reformatting the PC before reinstalling the driver for the function keys. I guarantee you that much, and the next support agent I talked to DID recommend that and said that reformatting my PC was a dumb idea.

0 Kudos
chucksearcy
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This happened to me a few months ago and I walked into the local PICO shop (like a Best Buys, sort of) in Hanoi where I bought the laptop.  I explained the problem to the young Vietnamese technicians there.  After fiddling for about 10 minutes the guy had worked through a whole bunch of options which I didn't even know existed, and got to some "fault / default" line that he switched and immediately the bright-dim function worked like a charm. 

Now I've got to go back again, because I've got the same problem once more and I was not able to remember what the guy did.  If I can track the steps this time, I'll share the code here. 

0 Kudos
Ganpati23
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mate, I fully support you.

I don't speak yank but asssuming CS major means computer university student, then you're right about them being useless and refusing to accept you could know what you're talking about.

1)  I've had loads of problms with Apple phone support over the years.  I've never studied computers but I programmed 8-bit home machines in the '80s like a Commodore 64, and I've been using vido editing suits (PC and Mac) since '99.

I spoke to a head technician at Lacie EU who was English and me and him chatted for an hour, cos he was the first person who knew enough to help me.

Likewsise, with Apple, after getting annoyed with the phone support, I eventually got pop through to a senior tech, who was also English.  He trusted me when I said "no we don't need to do that because xxxxx" and when I devised a test with him to prove my case using the old MBP and the new iMac, when it proved my theory he agreed.  He was really helpful - we had a good chat in general and I told him about this touchpad app I use and after a little bit, he agreed that this was better than the Apple way of multiple desktops and got me to give him the link.

After an hour, as the call was ending, and I said he was the first guy with a brain I'd spoken to in 3-4  years of using apple, he said you can just ask for a senior tech at the start of the phone call, so I do that all the ime now.

Apple:  How can I help?
Me:  Put me through to a senior tech, plase.
Apple:  Any reason, sir?.
Me:  Yes, cos you lot are muppets and the only ons with any brains are the senior techs.

So I totally sympathise.

When we got our first Mac 4 yrs ago, I had to format an external HDD.  I rang up, and the guy talked me through it, and it took about a minute.

6 months later, needed to format another HDD but had forgotten.  This guy told me something different, and it said it would take 8 hrs.  I said 'last time it just took a couple of minutes'.  (All you do, as I now know, is create partition, choose 1 partition, choose format, name it, choose GUID, click ok, done 30 secs later.)  He said, no, this is the only way to do it is like this.  I said are you sure, cos it was quick and easy last time.  He said 'I'm sure, and that 8hrs is just an estimate.  I will go down quickly.'  It didn't.  Took 12 hrs over-night.

So I totally see where you're coming from.

2)  The guy having a go at you said it was the fault of 'your' software conflicting.  Well if HP are gonna add these things to win7, it's their job to make sure you can't have conflicts.

When I press the brightness up or down button, th bars come up, but they don't move up or down.

Why can't they have a separate bit like the volume in the bottom right hand corner of the toolbar - a manual over-ride?

So what was conflicting, and how did you find out?  Any advice for me?

All the best, mate.

0 Kudos
patco
Level 1
3 3 0 3
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Answer for Lost Dim & Brightness not working is simple and was found online.

Go to the device manager - Right click Computer, Select Manage or Properties, Click Device manager.

Click and open Monitor

Double Click and open Generic PNP Monitor

Select Driver Tab and uninstall "Generic PNP Momitor" Driver

At the top of the Device Manager click Action Menu an select Scan for Hardware changes.

A new Driver for the monitor will be installed.

On my HP DV-7 it returned the Dim function and the F 7 & 8 brightness function to the keyboard.

It also returned the missing brightness setting to the Display settings found in the Control Panel.

For some reason the Monitor Driver when removed and installed will fix the Brightness & Dim features.

Tags (1)
genetrader
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Patco...

Thanks SOOOO much!

This is the simple workaround I have been looking for... it does fix the problem as NOTHING else has ever worked.

Great job - thanks for posting.

0 Kudos
rh3
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

THANK YOU!

Same thing here, just went to Device Manager and uninstalled and reinstalled Generic PnP driver under Monitor.   Note to others that it does not affect your display at all for some reason.  Then it might find that you have a monitor by itself or ask it to Scan for New Hardware.

My sleeping spouse thanks you!

(note also that I think it was caused by me trying to mess around with the dim key while it was still booting - I think maybe that is why I had such an error as the dim keys were working recently with no new software installed)

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation